Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Marketplace asset dimensions

Neil Thorpe
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Hi, please forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere but i couldn't quite find a definitive standard set of dimensions for tokens/maps effects etc, i did read the page on creating assets but i found the explanation was not very user friendly and didn't really outline the main sizes which are used, is their a 'noobs' guide for average asset sizes. Obviously i want to create assets which are easy to use and slot straight in to the way people already use them. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else.  Thanks Neil
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Do you have a specific question about asset sizes?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Did you read best image practices as they have various  roll20 display dimensions ? The  Geomorphic map tile page has some information also, did you read it also?
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Neil, You're looking at basically making something 140px per Unit when the system is a Grid = 1.  So basically if you are looking at a D&D screen, and the grid is default 5ft, and your monster takes up a 5ft square, then you need it at LEAST 140x140.  If its' going to be a 10ft square, then at LEAST 280x280.
I personally go for 210px so it looks really good when zoomed in at 200%.

Edited 1490185602
Eric D. Leon
Marketplace Creator
Guidelines for tokens are 280 px X 280 px total. That way it'll scale up to 4x4 squares nicely in roll20, as it has display dimensions of 70px/square.  For Maps and tiles, it's 140px X 140 px per square in the image. Maps and tiles come in any rectangular shape of your choice, starting at 1x1 square (140px X140px) up to 30 X 30 squares (4,200 px X 4200 px). I don't think there is an official upper limit, but I cant imagine a need for beyond 30 X 30, and I find even that to be excessive for my needs. For anyone else in the thread that wants to see the asset guidelines easily, the info is  here . 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
For those really large maps, it becomes increasingly more important to understand the difference between png and jpg and picking an acceptible level of compression.
Neil Thorpe
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Thank you all for the replies, i understand that theirs a few places to get this info already an di did check them out but i was struggling to really grasp the way to approach the dimensions, i'm used to working with visual effects and there are very rigid dimensions to work to. You've helped me get my head around it a bit more but as with most things im sure it wont totally click until I've tried/failed a couple of times, thanks for the help everyone! Neil