Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Using scripts like cron with Exalted's dynamic Initiative?

My group and I are playing Exalted, Third Edition, a game whose combat system centers in large part around a dynamic initiative system in which the turn order changes from round to round. So far, all of the scripts I've found to automate things like tracking effect durations, etc. work by counting a "round" as the time to cycle from Initiative Count X back to Initiative Count X. The problem is, this doesn't accurately measure the time between a character's turns in EX3, because their Initiative is very likely to change. So, for example, we'd very much like to automate tracking of the Onslaught Penalty, a ubiquitous status effect which resets at the beginning of a character's turn. But if Cathak Sanjuro gains an Onslaught Penalty on Init Count 7, but acts next round on Count 11, a script like cron or the automated round and duration tracker I found won't clear the penalty until Count 7 rolls around again, because that's a 'round' -- Count 7 to Count 7. Is there any kind of a simple fix for this, or would I have to set it up to create a unique counter variable for every character in the combat and update the counter -- adjusting durations and what-not as appropriate -- every time the turn passes to the character? And if so, is tracking one additional hidden variable per combat participant likely to introduce any significant lag (or other problems)?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
What you're asking for is definitely possible.  It wouldn't introduce more lag.  The hardest part would be making sure that the information is cleared out in the case that the combat ends before the status does.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I was working on an Ex3 combat tracker script a while ago, but never finished it. Maybe I should get back to it. I say that, but I probably won't get motivation to do so at least until my Orichalcum Deluxe Edition of the core book arrives. >.>