Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Yawning Portal content in other adventures

Does anyone with the YP add ons know if you can use elements like tokens, maps and artwork in other games? Do they show up in your library? Do the add ons unlock monsters, items, etc in the Compendium? Or is everything bundled up into the modules? Thanks. 

Edited 1490389079
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Tales from the yawning portal is a bundle of add-ons that can be added to any campaign via the game settings page. 
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
To elaborate on what Franky said, you can add each of the modules to your existing game via the Game Addons: This includes the Characters, Handouts, and Pages.  They will be in your game as if you had created them, or dragged them in from the compendium.  It does not extend the compendium with them or add them to your graphics Library.  If you only want to pull elements of one of them into your game, you would just need to add the module, then remove the parts you aren't going to use.  Hope that helps!
For more details you can also check out the Announcement Post from the forums here:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4814170/tales-from-the-yawning-portal-is-available-now" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4814170/tales-from-the-yawning-portal-is-available-now</a>
I love the maps in these adventures, but the utility of them is VASTLY DIMINISHED when all the secret doors, traps etc.. are visible on the map layer. In the future, it would be far better if you could get access to the original layered files of the maps, so that you could remove some of those elements and potentially move them to say the GM layer.&nbsp;
Drew, I thought the same thing at first, but it turns out that the secret doors/traps markers are actually on the GM layer. (at least in the Tomb of Horrors module). &nbsp;It's deceiving as first because of the quality
How does this work if you purchase YP but are not DMing a current game and want to "play" in the content you purchased? For example, I purchase the content, how do I "give" or "open the content up" to my DM?
Justin H.
Marketplace Creator
OK i'm still struggling with making challenging encounters for my lvl 4 part of 5, I'm looking at these encounters in Tamoachan and thinking to myself...how on earth is this challenging enough for a part of lvl 5s?? these CRs in the addon seem really low and my party just rolled through a CR6 w/ stoneskin in 2 rounds.... The question is; Does everyone feel these add-ons are properly leveled? I glanced over White Plume Mountain to see if that might be too challenging and I'm still unsure. The party just hit lvl 5 last session.&nbsp;

Edited 1490408133
Drew
Pro
That's great news about the secret doors and such. I just checked and realized that it is the case that they are no the GM layer. It didn't look like it when I was looking at the maps, but that is the case. Apologies roll20 people. Great job. I'm much happier with this purchase now. Now I just have to figure out how dynamic lighting works.
@ Justin- I agree the CRs of these adventures seems low. Tomb of Horrors is advertised for a high level party, but there is nothing in it that really indicates that needs to be the case. Sure there are a few save or die elements, but generally speaking, the monsters and traps aren't deadly enough for a high level group. The original Tomb of Horrors was for 7-9 level range. I think this version would still work best for a party of that range- maybe even a little lower if you have a big party. &nbsp;Of course, that's not a roll20 issue.
Justin H.
Marketplace Creator
drew l. said: ....The original Tomb of Horrors was for 7-9 level range. I think this version would still work best for a party of that range- maybe even a little lower if you have a big party. &nbsp;Of course, that's not a roll20 issue. &nbsp;I agree it's not a Roll20 issue i was just hoping to get some insight here b4 i run one of these addons for my Roll20 party.&nbsp;
drew l. said: The original Tomb of Horrors was for 7-9 level range. Actually, the original Tomb of Horrors was for levels 10-14.
Luckstrider said: How does this work if you purchase YP but are not DMing a current game and want to "play" in the content you purchased? For example, I purchase the content, how do I "give" or "open the content up" to my DM? One workaround is to either create a game and promote a gm then not spoil yourself. &nbsp;I know it's llike a month and you likely figured it out but maybe this will work for someone else.