Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New Starfinder game category

A new rpg table is coming this august. Paizo makes a new science fanasy game called  Starfinder . Can't wait!!!

Edited 1490787550
SᵃᵛᵃǤᵉ
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Mind as well +1
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
+1
Very much looking forward to this game and will be running a game for sure. I hope the community catches up pretty fast with support as roll20 is my primary DM'ing game space atm.
I'm really excited for this and will be running a game for sure... Already designing some stories based on the currently released information
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
and who will make the first Starfinder sheet...?
They really ought to add Starfinder to the list of games, or at least allow us to type in the game system we wish to use.  We shouldn't have to petition them through their suggestion forum to add games they don't have yet. >.>
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The list of games available as part of the drop down selection list is determined by system popularity which in turn is based on number of games running on roll20 for that system. To get a system added to the list your best course of action is to play that game... a lot... and encourage others to do the same :)
Ziechael said: The list of games available as part of the drop down selection list is determined by system popularity which in turn is based on number of games running on roll20 for that system. To get a system added to the list your best course of action is to play that game... a lot... and encourage others to do the same :) So how does Roll20 know what game you're playing?  Is it by tag or something?
Peter B. said: Ziechael said: The list of games available as part of the drop down selection list is determined by system popularity which in turn is based on number of games running on roll20 for that system. To get a system added to the list your best course of action is to play that game... a lot... and encourage others to do the same :) So how does Roll20 know what game you're playing?  Is it by tag or something? This is a little outdated, as we now have character sheet data to pull from as well, but  this is how we got data initially . Starfinder  is absolutely a game that will get added to our lists over the summer (whether or not there is a community character sheet). We're excited to see where this system goes!
Nolan T. J. said: This is a little outdated, as we now have character sheet data to pull from as well, but  this is how we got data initially . Starfinder  is absolutely a game that will get added to our lists over the summer (whether or not there is a community character sheet). We're excited to see where this system goes! But how do we get new games added to the list? Is Roll20 going to have more surveys for people to answer? Do we need to have a character sheet available before the game gets added to the dropdown list? Why are we unable to just type in the name of the game we're planning to run, instead of being limited to just the dropdown list? Why even limit people to just the games on the list? Not trying to derail this suggestion thread, but it seems to me that we should be able to just type in the name of the RPG we're using, and I don't understand why we cannot.
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
Games aren't just limited to what is on the list, you can effectively run anything you want, as Roll20 is system agnostic. I've run quite a few play test games for some games that haven't even been published yet, thus aren't on the list. From what I recall, there was a post stating that games are added to the list when they reach a saturation point where games are constantly being run for that system. 
B Simon Smith said: Games aren't just limited to what is on the list, you can effectively run anything you want, as Roll20 is system agnostic. I've run quite a few play test games for some games that haven't even been published yet, thus aren't on the list. From what I recall, there was a post stating that games are added to the list when they reach a saturation point where games are constantly being run for that system.  I realize that you can run any game you want. But it is very difficult to search for a game that is not on the list.  If you are running a game not on the list, it is invisible to the system.
Nolan T. J. said: Peter B. said: Ziechael said: The list of games available as part of the drop down selection list is determined by system popularity which in turn is based on number of games running on roll20 for that system. To get a system added to the list your best course of action is to play that game... a lot... and encourage others to do the same :) So how does Roll20 know what game you're playing?  Is it by tag or something? This is a little outdated, as we now have character sheet data to pull from as well, but  this is how we got data initially . Starfinder  is absolutely a game that will get added to our lists over the summer (whether or not there is a community character sheet). We're excited to see where this system goes! Very happy to hear this! I am also hopeful that someone far better than I will create a community sheet for this game. I updated the sheet for a classic Deadlands campaign and boy did it give me respect for the work done on the pathfinder sheet.
Totaly awesome!! Thats a great news! You guys making already nice jobs. I do not fear about the rpg setup since pathfinder and starfinder will almost be the same.
So people who preordered Starfinder should have PDFs.  Game officially launches on Aug. 17th.  May we have it added to the list now, please?
I'm building my Starfinder Roll20 tables for the week after Gencon...would love to have this fixed
Peter B. said: B Simon Smith said: Games aren't just limited to what is on the list, you can effectively run anything you want, as Roll20 is system agnostic. I've run quite a few play test games for some games that haven't even been published yet, thus aren't on the list. From what I recall, there was a post stating that games are added to the list when they reach a saturation point where games are constantly being run for that system.  I realize that you can run any game you want. But it is very difficult to search for a game that is not on the list.  If you are running a game not on the list, it is invisible to the system. Peter, you can type the title of any RPG in the Matching Keywords box and it will find games of that type (if any are currently running).  For example, if I type BattleTech or MechWarrior into this box, it produces a listing for this  game , even though BattleTech and MechWarrior are not systems you can select from the Playing any of these games menu. Hopefully, this will help you find a game that you're looking for.
Jason W. said: Peter B. said: B Simon Smith said: Games aren't just limited to what is on the list, you can effectively run anything you want, as Roll20 is system agnostic. I've run quite a few play test games for some games that haven't even been published yet, thus aren't on the list. From what I recall, there was a post stating that games are added to the list when they reach a saturation point where games are constantly being run for that system.  I realize that you can run any game you want. But it is very difficult to search for a game that is not on the list.  If you are running a game not on the list, it is invisible to the system. Peter, you can type the title of any RPG in the Matching Keywords box and it will find games of that type (if any are currently running).  For example, if I type BattleTech or MechWarrior into this box, it produces a listing for this  game , even though BattleTech and MechWarrior are not systems you can select from the Playing any of these games menu. Hopefully, this will help you find a game that you're looking for. That requires people to properly set up their game's title, because if you go by the games listed, it's D&D or Other Games not Mechwarrior/Battletech. It is extremely silly that we cannot enter custom games into the entry, that we have to rely on Roll20 to eventually, sometime maybe soon!, add an entry to the list.
There must be some reason why we can't, surely?  Maybe it has to do with built-in character sheets or something?  Dunno.  *shrug*
Can we just get the charactor sheets at least? Or the option to upload custom ones. It's a real hassle to get a sheet outside of the listed ones in game. 
michael p. said: Can we just get the charactor sheets at least? Or the option to upload custom ones. It's a real hassle to get a sheet outside of the listed ones in game.  It's being made. Being able to just upload a form-fillable pdf would be so much simpler, but... Roll20 has their way of doing things so, for now, it's in the works :)
If anyone needs testing help let me know. I am not real good at coding but can get around. I also have a group of people who would be more than willing to test character sheets.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'm in the process of making the sheet, probably won't be ready right at release, but I'll try.
Another bump!  Today's the day of release. :D
Any word on Starfinder character sheets?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Micah L. said: Any word on Starfinder character sheets? Scott C. is working on one. Creating a character sheet for roll20 takes time and testing.  We don't want Scott to rush it. 
@Vince I just really need a game category. So I can easily recruit people who are looking for those tags. 
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I hear you. That one's out if my control. ;-(
Yeah, I am looking for that as well, so that I can set my Starfinder game up properly.
I'm looking to start my SF game soon and I'd like to go ahead and set things up in Roll20.  Two questions: 1. If I set up my game now can I add the community sheet later?  2. How do you make a community sheet?  
Lucas S. said: I'm looking to start my SF game soon and I'd like to go ahead and set things up in Roll20.  Two questions: 1. If I set up my game now can I add the community sheet later?  2. How do you make a community sheet?   Ask whomever does the Pathfinder one if they'd kindly support Starfinder. Good character sheets from scratch are an astonishing amount of work.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Scott C who is in the process of creating the Starfinder sheet is part of the Pathfinder sheet volunteers.  I'm sure he'll be using the pathfinder sheet as an example of what and what not to do.  ;-P
Well, a week has gone by and not a peep from the devs, and no Starfinder in the list.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Lucas S. said: I'm looking to start my SF game soon and I'd like to go ahead and set things up in Roll20.  Two questions: 1. If I set up my game now can I add the community sheet later?  2. How do you make a community sheet?   1. If you can take a look at Scott's working code and try to use the same attribute names for key things as he is in your attributes and abilities section of the journal entries then when you add the sheet once launched you'll automatically 'import' a lot of your existing data otherwise when you add the sheet the fields will all be blank and you'll have to manually reenter the data from your characters. 2. Html and to a lesser extent CSS knowledge is required, the sheets can be tested in the VTT by users with a pro subscription but can be submitted to the repository of community created sheets by anyone.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Peter B. said: Well, a week has gone by and not a peep from the devs, and no Starfinder in the list. The games dropdown menu exist to help standardize the options available (example: 4E vs. 4th Edition vs. D&D4, etc). No matter how many games are listed, some may not make the cut. Games are added to the list periodically. This ensures obscure listings gain greater visibility when sorted via the Other Games option and helps keep away “empty” search listings for underrepresented titles. If you feel a game should be listed, encourage your community members to play and post often. The more community attention a title receives the more likely it is to be added to the list.
Ziechael said: Peter B. said: Well, a week has gone by and not a peep from the devs, and no Starfinder in the list. The games dropdown menu exist to help standardize the options available (example: 4E vs. 4th Edition vs. D&D4, etc). No matter how many games are listed, some may not make the cut. Games are added to the list periodically. This ensures obscure listings gain greater visibility when sorted via the Other Games option and helps keep away “empty” search listings for underrepresented titles. If you feel a game should be listed, encourage your community members to play and post often. The more community attention a title receives the more likely it is to be added to the list. I would like to chime in and say that I know what a nightmare coding in general is, being the son of two programmers, so I and hopefully most of the community are waiting patiently, just a few folks seem to be a bit antsier than us. We all look forward to the completed sheets more than anything, the listing, in my humble opinion, would just be icing on the cake
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Pethrax said: just a few folks seem to be a bit antsier than us I'd say excited but tomato tom-ah-to lol. In my unofficial opinion, if the buzz around the forums is much to go on, there will likely be enough action for the system to warrant it getting an entry in the drop-down. With Scott's impending community sheet (which is likely to be high end if his scripts and VTT know-how are anything to go by) I think patience is the watchword as Pethrax says :)
Ziechael said: Peter B. said: Well, a week has gone by and not a peep from the devs, and no Starfinder in the list. The games dropdown menu exist to help standardize the options available (example: 4E vs. 4th Edition vs. D&D4, etc). No matter how many games are listed, some may not make the cut. Games are added to the list periodically. This ensures obscure listings gain greater visibility when sorted via the Other Games option and helps keep away “empty” search listings for underrepresented titles. If you feel a game should be listed, encourage your community members to play and post often. The more community attention a title receives the more likely it is to be added to the list. Yes, I know how it works, thank you.  Are you in support of the original idea up at the top?  If yes, please vote for it. If not, please create your own thread.
Ziechael said: Lucas S. said: I'm looking to start my SF game soon and I'd like to go ahead and set things up in Roll20.  Two questions: 1. If I set up my game now can I add the community sheet later?  2. How do you make a community sheet?   1. If you can take a look at Scott's working code and try to use the same attribute names for key things as he is in your attributes and abilities section of the journal entries then when you add the sheet once launched you'll automatically 'import' a lot of your existing data otherwise when you add the sheet the fields will all be blank and you'll have to manually reenter the data from your characters. 2. Html and to a lesser extent CSS knowledge is required, the sheets can be tested in the VTT by users with a pro subscription but can be submitted to the repository of community created sheets by anyone. ta - now I see why one would upgrade to pro.
Ziechael said: Lucas S. said: I'm looking to start my SF game soon and I'd like to go ahead and set things up in Roll20.  Two questions: 1. If I set up my game now can I add the community sheet later?  2. How do you make a community sheet?   1. If you can take a look at Scott's working code and try to use the same attribute names for key things as he is in your attributes and abilities section of the journal entries then when you add the sheet once launched you'll automatically 'import' a lot of your existing data otherwise when you add the sheet the fields will all be blank and you'll have to manually reenter the data from your characters. 2. Html and to a lesser extent CSS knowledge is required, the sheets can be tested in the VTT by users with a pro subscription but can be submitted to the repository of community created sheets by anyone. I could use a litthe help. I know very well HTML and CSS. javascript if necessary.
Ziechael said: The list of games available as part of the drop down selection list is determined by system popularity which in turn is based on number of games running on roll20 for that system. To get a system added to the list your best course of action is to play that game... a lot... and encourage others to do the same :) that's insane in order to get the game listed it has to be  an available option to select in the first place.  "Other game" does not make the system automatticly assume its game system Y. Tag's also do not mean game system either if I put bunnies in enough games as a tag would that game system "bunnies" be a new add? This makes it nearly impossibble to find the players for that game system or the players find our game. I am excided to see starfinder my self but I would also like to see some small population games too. Honestly I can't imagine the current list has a stable list of GM's and players for each drop down game. 70% of them are quite frankly of game systems I have never heard of. 
Starfinder is in the list now. :)
I'm pretty new to GMing through Roll20, I did one with Pathfinder already.  I'm here to ask what I'm doing wrong as far as finding Starfinder in the sheets drop down menu. I'm in the game settings area and can't find the Starfinder character sheets listed in the template drop down menu. Am I looking it up wrong or in the wrong section? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. EDIT: I see what list you're talking about now. the Games list and not the list of sheets yet. Looking forward to the sheets and thanks to anyone with the time and know-how to make them, you're the real MVP.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep, the sheet is not finished yet. You can follow this thread for progress on the sheet: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5145005/anyone-going-to-make-a-starfinder-sheet" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5145005/anyone-going-to-make-a-starfinder-sheet</a>