Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

"One shot" modules

Edited 1490454844
Hey gang!  Are there 1 shot modules/campaigns for purchase?  Or just something small lol.  I am starting a new online group and want to start with just a 1 shot campaign...Thank you so much...
Please forgive my newbieness; but are the addons mini campaigns?
Gold
Forum Champion
The Master's Vault is a relatively small module, with premade characters which helps with a one-shot. Lost Mines of Phandelver is also not extremely long adventure, but is typically more than a one-shot worth of adventuring. The "Double Dungeons" module products are mostly made as one-or-two shots, and you get 2 of those in each double-dungeons purchase. Add-ons are not necessarily mini-campaigns, but some can be played that way. The newest set of add-ons, Tales From The Yawning Portal, consists of several classic adventures, in which the first one at lowest level (The Sunless Citadel) would be a good starter-adventure and potentially a one-shot.
Ok cool thanks bro...I appreciate the info...
Gold said: The Master's Vault is a relatively small module, with premade characters which helps with a one-shot. Lost Mines of Phandelver is also not extremely long adventure, but is typically more than a one-shot worth of adventuring. The "Double Dungeons" module products are mostly made as one-or-two shots, and you get 2 of those in each double-dungeons purchase. Add-ons are not necessarily mini-campaigns, but some can be played that way. The newest set of add-ons, Tales From The Yawning Portal, consists of several classic adventures, in which the first one at lowest level (The Sunless Citadel) would be a good starter-adventure and potentially a one-shot. +1 for most of these suggestions. However, LMoP should not be suggested in the same thread as one-shots unless you're just picking certain dungeons to run through. LMoP is a pretty extensive starter campaign intended to get players from level 1 to 5. Fastest I've ever heard of it being completed is 11 hours of play with players already at level 5 and focusing on purely main story without doing side quests. Most groups usually get at least 36-40 hours of play out of the module, if not more.
Jyro X said: +1 for most of these suggestions. However, LMoP should not be suggested in the same thread as one-shots unless you're just picking certain dungeons to run through. LMoP is a pretty extensive starter campaign intended to get players from level 1 to 5. Fastest I've ever heard of it being completed is 11 hours of play with players already at level 5 and focusing on purely main story without doing side quests. Most groups usually get at least 36-40 hours of play out of the module, if not more. While you are correct that the whole module isn't possible as a one-shot, Lost Mines is a pretty awesome module for a one-shot in case your everyone likes it and wants to continue. Depending on the length of the one-shot session, you have the Ambush followed by the Cragmaw Hideout.  This alone is sufficient for most 'one-shots'.  You end after saving the NPC.  If the session is really long, then continue on to Phandalin and the Redbrand Hideout. Then do all the Sandbox stuff if the campaign continues.
Thank you so much guys!  I love your idea on how to make LMoP a one shot...
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Very cool to see that others are interested in this! My wife and I are designing one-shot modules for 5e as add-ons. They come with pregen characters and everything else you need to play. There is hardly any set up at all. The pregens need backgrounds and skill proficiencies selected, but that is it.  We are currently waiting while Roll20 finishes the final touches on the Add-On feature but our first module is otherwise ready to go. We are hoping this will generate enough interest for us to commit to releasing 2 a month. I will post here again once our first module goes live!
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
I've got plans for a one-shot, but sourcing artists has been my major delay. (It would be Edition agnostic but geared more towards D&D 3.5E and 5E). I can potentially make more, but in general, the thing that slows me down is artwork.  I am rubbish at drawing things like people and tokens, and I don't have a huge 'warchest' to be spending on art. I'm not knocking artists, they do great stuff and I don't want to rip them off, but it's my little stumbling block: can't draw, can write :P
The Sunless Citadel from the Yawning Portal as suggested above may be able to be ran as a one shot but it would be a long one shot i have done it a couple of times one group took about 10 hours over 2 sessions with experienced players the other took about 14 hours but was with all new players.
Another quick, one shot module was added recently by Cody from&nbsp; Taking20 <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/12" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/12</a>... &nbsp;
Support Class
Marketplace Creator
Both&nbsp; Cryptic Entry and&nbsp; Bad Apples are modules that can generally be played in a single session. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much everybody!

Edited 1496229340
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
My wife and I just released another one shot. We had so much with this one that we ended up playing an extra playtest just for fun (4th playtest). Some of the playtesters even played more than once. lol The only thing I have left have to say is this... "That blasted dwarven bridge!" Enjoy! <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/44/th" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/44/th</a>...
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
FYI: My wife and I had created another one-shot that works as an add on for The Boggersman.&nbsp; It takes a bit longer and might be better as two short sessions. You can easily run it with The Boggersman in any order. They were both created with new DMs in mind so they are very easy to run. Have fun! <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/10" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/10</a>...