Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help with map size requirements, please?

Hello, I recently made a large map (6.25' x 6.25') and have been asked if it can be successfully uploaded to roll 20?  It's a pdf file 224 MB.  If I reduce the resolution, then when you zoom in, It wouldn't remain clear, so is this file size ok to upload?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Uploading art assets Wiki quote There is a file size cap for image uploads. If you have a base account, no single image or batch upload can exceed 5MB. For Plus or Pro subscribers, this cap is raised to 10MB. Your file is to large to upload.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Don't worry, though! I bet you'll still get satisfactory quality if you convert the the pdf file to a 70DPI .jpg image. Check out: Image Best Practices for Roll20
Thanks, both of you.  I'll give it a go.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Also if it still remains too big after converting it to a 70dpi JPG file, try cutting it down into sections. It should fit then! Each square unit in Roll20 represents 140x140 pixels, if that helps!
Thanks Munky!  I let the user who wants to use my map know.  I'll see how it works out for him and if I have to, I'll chop it up in photoshop.  I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
MeditatingMunky said: Each square unit in Roll20 represents 140x140 pixels, if that helps! Slight correction, as standard each 'unit' in Roll20 is 70x70 pixels. However, Munky is rightly alluding to the  market place asset suggested dimensions for maps I believe in which it suggests that to ensure quality at various zoom levels. Sorry, professional pedant here...
No problem.  Much appreciatedf!