Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Generalized Togglable Map Layers for Vertical Maps

Score + 22

Edited 1493141691
Aymar
Sheet Author
I've seen the suggestion regarding Foreground Layer, and that is an awesome idea. Adding to that, my thought is that if we had customizable, togglable layers, it would allow any kind of map, including vertical maps with multiple floors, fog over the map, secret paths, etc. The idea is: roll20 have its predefined map layers, namely Map, Objects and GM. Think of these 3 layers as sublayers. Now think of the set containing these 3 sublayers as 1 layer. When you first start a map, it comes with a first layer, containing its 3 sublayers (Map, Objects and GM). If we could, on top of that, create any number of layers, each of which containing their own 3 sublayers (Map, Objects and GM), and then be able to toggle them on/off (or better yet, set the transparency for each full layer) I think it would be the ultimate map editor, the dream of every GM out there. For example, imagine my map is an open area containing 3 floors (bridges and open rooms crossing over the floors below), I could design the first floor in the Main layers, then create 2 additional layers (both containing the 3 sublayers) and design each floor in its appropriate layer. Then, during the game, I would be able to toggle layers on/off (or change their transparency) depending on the floor the current players is on. So if I toggle the 2nd and 3rd floors off, the PCs in the first floor would have a view of the first floor only (including monsters, etc), then on a PC on the second floor turn, I'd toggle the second floor layer, and he'd have a view of the second floor and the parts of the first floor still visible (if he's on a bridge, he'd see the bridge, the monsters on the bridge, and the parts of the first floor not covered by the bridge), and the same goes for the PCs on the 3rd floor. Maybe this is a stretch, but since it uses a lot of the things already present in roll20's code, I'm guessing it should be a simple generalization of what's already present in their code. Basically, allow us to create multiple "Pages" in the same Page, and call the current Layers as Sublayers, the current Page as Layer and a group of Pages(current) as a full Page. Come on, wouldn't that be the ultimate Map Editor/Map Explorer? Fake images just to illustrate the idea: Only the Main layer activated: Both Main and Layer 2 activated: All layers activated:
It's a good idea, and luckily for the both of us, Roll20 has already addressed this in their roundtable video last April:&nbsp; <a href="https://youtu.be/cRrxsfMYCW8?t=9m32s" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/cRrxsfMYCW8?t=9m32s</a> To summarize Steve K.'s response, it's something Roll20 really, really wants to do, and they want to do it right, with multiple layers. &nbsp;But it requires a complete rewrite of the tabletop engine to pull it off. &nbsp;So it's on their list, but it's going to be a while.