Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Discount for already having the physical copy

Hi Roll20. Wondering if there is anyway to get digital copies of Roll20 modules/books etc if you can prove you have properly purchased a physical copy of the item. Ie - I am looking at getting Tales From the YP in physical form, but also want to DM it for a group via Roll20. It is quite a large outlay for 2 copies of the same item (in effect). Is there some what that something could be looked into for this sort of scenario?  (not sure if this is the right are to post - please advise if not and I will move it) Thanks!
The amount of effort that goes into creating a module for roll20 is a huge amount. If they gave away a copy to everyone that owns physically it they wouldn't make enough to pay the hard workers that convert the modules to roll20 and also the overhead for licensing.
Im not sugesting that they give it away for free. i may have worded my query badly.  however as per the title of the post, i am wondering about a discount. 

Edited 1491395351
As the roll20 Devs have stated multiple times, the physical book and the Modules sold on the marketplace are different products, and most of the value that goes into the conversion of the modules above and beyond the license fees to WoTC has nothing to do with the actual book, but the hundreds of hours of preptime the modules save you as a customer.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
They addressed this in the Q&A session last week, the video of which should get posted sometime soon.  The practical upshot is the value of the Roll20 Module doesn't decrease due to time or physical copies and price changes are not something they considering currently.

Edited 1491415411
Zeshio
Marketplace Creator
You can watch the video on Twitch anytime on their Roll20 account, and I think the actual posting to YouTube will be up soon, as Aaron mentioned. Also, it would legally be very hard to actually prove you own a copy, barring you had a receipt with your name showing your purchase. Because WotC wouldn't approve of a discount unless it was worked out with Roll20, the discount would basically be coming out of Roll20's pocket. However, we all feel the burn when we have both online and physical versions of the games we like, since it's more money out of the pocket. You could probably work around this a bit by using the physical copy and importing images, but you'd probably still need to find a way to set up tokens, etc. to make it work.