Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Purchasing Conent and the General Norms

I am new to roll20 but not new to role playing games. I have been placing pitches all around and finally got accepted into a few groups. In one group a GM is asking for the 5 group members to pay for the module so we can play it. The posting was originally listed as free to play but a paragraph mentioned paying for the content. The posting was then switched later to pay to play. I have no qualms about paying to play. But I feel weird that five of us are paying for the module that the GM (who does not appear to be paying) gets to keep and may already own. I see lots of pay for play ads that include a set price or a for session price. I feel that I got a bit of a bait and switch but this may just be normal procedure since I am new here. Long story short, what are the normal ways this is managed? Is it normal that I am paying for someone else s account to get content? Is this scammy? Thanks for any insight.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Did the switch happen after people had already joined the campaign? That definitely seems like a problem to me.
The campaign has not started yet. And two other players have now dropped out, I assume because of the wierdness surrounding all of this.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Prior to 4 weeks ago, there wasn't support in the interface for tagging games as Pay-to-Play, or the ability to search or exclude based on that. &nbsp;The requirement was to have a disclaimer in the description making clear the Pay-to-Play nature of the the game and explicitly stating that such transactions were outside the responsibility of Roll20. 4 week ago they rolled out an update to make this clearer for all involved, here's the announcement:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4743372/update-3" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4743372/update-3</a>... Probably you originally applied to the game before that change, the the game was transitioned to the new tagging requirements, which is where the 'bait-n-switch' feeling is coming from. &nbsp;Going forward, it should be much clearer. I can't really speak to the normality of paying for content on someone else's account. &nbsp;In the final analysis, splitting $50 5 ways to pay for a module is certainly less than paying $5 per person per session for 3+ sessions, so in some regard it's not much different than paying a fixed amount and just knowing what the GM is spending the money on. &nbsp;I personally wouldn't feel like it was "scammy", just seems like offsetting the cost in preparation time and the risk of buying a module and not having players show up for it.&nbsp;
Thanks. I just wasn't sure what to make of it as I am new here. This makes sense and I think $10 bucks from each player is fair. I guess before I dump the cash I wanted some reassurance that the GM isn't going to take the money and run (always possible but is it normal). It seems more likely that it is insurance on his/her part that players are invested and aren't going to flake out.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Chris said: It seems more likely that it is insurance on his/her part that players are invested and aren't going to flake out. Yeah, that. It's a hard problem for individuals to solve. &nbsp;Either the GM has to trust all the players, or all the players have to trust the GM. &nbsp;The GM could also just have a very limited budget. &nbsp;