Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

A Plea to Roll20 Creators: An Early Modern Set

I have run a campaign taking place in a setting equivalent to the 16th or 17th century of our timeline. This is a time of knights using the peak of plate armor, pikemen, musketeers, cannons, pistol-wielding cavalry, pompous nobles with wigs, and of course, pirates.  While there are plenty of pirates for sale in the marketplace, I was surprised to find there was absolutely nothing else for this time period. Everything from the civil war, to the old west, to cyberpunk, to steampunk, to science-fantasy, to zombie apocalypses, to tech tokens, to hex maps, to entire sets just devoted to treasure piles could be found, but there wasn't a single set for even something so widely liked as musketeers! I'd be more than willing to pay for such a set, as I'm sure many other prospective GMs would. A set with all the things I mentioned, with perhaps a fancy horse-drawn carriage, or other period object thrown in as well, would go a long way to making my campaigns that much better. No longer will I have to rely on that one dwarf gunner, or those samurai arquebus tokens to represent to soldiers of my world, for example.
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
The problem with niche sets like this is that creators don't like to make them, as they won't see as many sales from such releases. That's why you see a ton of fantasy and sci-fi, and very little in the modern era.
Zeshio
Marketplace Creator
Probably wouldn't be too hard, it would still fit into a human fantasy token set well. I have a backlog of packs to make but I could potentially put something together over the next month or so. I'm sure other artists would be willing to do this too if they're looking for ideas.
B Simon Smith said: The problem with niche sets like this is that creators don't like to make them, as they won't see as many sales from such releases. That's why you see a ton of fantasy and sci-fi, and very little in the modern era. What Zeshio said, a lot of the stuff I mentioned could cross-pollinate with fantasy. If anyone were to take this up, I'm sure I'm not the only GM who'd be into it.
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
Flooby - have you checked out work by  Phillip Wright ? 
I know it's frustrating, but let me put it like this: On a good day I can design two full characters with all their weapons and cool light emissions and stuff, it takes me an extra day to pose them and render those characters to 100%. Then I have a couple extra days on top of that working in photoshop doing post-production. So if I want to put out a 10 to 15 character set, it can take anywhere from a couple weeks to a month to finish to completion (I typically work through about three versions of characters until they're ready for the marketplace). For one set. I do modern and cyberpunk stuff because I absolutely love it, but it takes a LOT of time to make these sets - it would take just as much time if not more to shade, texture, and render shiny plate armor, bright Georgian satin gowns, and all that insanely elaborate hair that was fashionable during the time. We're talking about a period of time that ranges from the Elizabethan era to when Marseilles came about, when King George returned to the throne of Britain after Cromwell croaked and it was an insane age of excess, my toes curl thinking about all that gilded furniture, haha. I mean, hell, this was the period of time when men all over Europe were engaged in "The Great Work", aka alchemy! Literally a magical time in history. Making packs is a LOT of work and you have to be into it for it to be worth the time and effort. It might be easier for people that don't do hybrid work, but I'm pretty sure it's tough on everybody that makes these. You're going to have to find someone that's super into the Renaissance (wouldn't call this modern since it's pre-industrial) that is willing to take a chance on it being profitable in the long run. 
Zeshio
Marketplace Creator
It all depends on style of the artist. Because my style is cartoony I can make tokens a lot quicker, but they're also not going to be realistic shiny ones like Sunset makes. It would probably take me two weeks to make a pack of 26 unique tokens. Are you looking for them to have matching colors? It wouldn't be too hard at that point to use themed colors, so you had 2 or 3 different factions of the same units.
Zeshio said: It all depends on style of the artist. Because my style is cartoony I can make tokens a lot quicker, but they're also not going to be realistic shiny ones like Sunset makes.  Sorry it takes you a couple weeks but I'm glad I'm not just working super slow, haha. Love your style btw! Especially the little details ( Bard brandishes a Tiny Guitar! ) you add.
Zeshio
Marketplace Creator
Sorry it takes you a couple weeks but I'm glad I'm not just working super slow, haha. Love your style btw! Especially the little details ( Bard brandishes a Tiny Guitar! ) you add. Thanks Sunset! I was looking at  your tokens the other day to see how you tackled Shadowrun. I've only been at it for a couple of months but my next couple of sets coming out next week should be even better! 

Edited 1491679239
Russ H. said: Flooby - have you checked out work by  Phillip Wright ?  I have, and I use some of his stuff. It can get the job done, but the closest thing he has is his Regency set, which is more about the 19th to early 20th century. Sunset Industries said: I know it's frustrating, but let me put it like this: On a good day I can design two full characters with all their weapons and cool light emissions and stuff, it takes me an extra day to pose them and render those characters to 100%. Then I have a couple extra days on top of that working in photoshop doing post-production. So if I want to put out a 10 to 15 character set, it can take anywhere from a couple weeks to a month to finish to completion (I typically work through about three versions of characters until they're ready for the marketplace). For one set. I do modern and cyberpunk stuff because I absolutely love it, but it takes a LOT of time to make these sets - it would take just as much time if not more to shade, texture, and render shiny plate armor, bright Georgian satin gowns, and all that insanely elaborate hair that was fashionable during the time. We're talking about a period of time that ranges from the Elizabethan era to when Marseilles came about, when King George returned to the throne of Britain after Cromwell croaked and it was an insane age of excess, my toes curl thinking about all that gilded furniture, haha. I mean, hell, this was the period of time when men all over Europe were engaged in "The Great Work", aka alchemy! Literally a magical time in history. Making packs is a LOT of work and you have to be into it for it to be worth the time and effort. It might be easier for people that don't do hybrid work, but I'm pretty sure it's tough on everybody that makes these. You're going to have to find someone that's super into the Renaissance (wouldn't call this modern since it's pre-industrial) that is willing to take a chance on it being profitable in the long run.  I knew that it took work, but I didn't think about how much more work it might be to represent all the fancy extras of clothing and armor from that time period.  Bah, if only I had the money, I'd pay extra to make it like a commision, so some of the artist's risk is covered. Zeshio said: It all depends on style of the artist. Because my style is cartoony I can make tokens a lot quicker, but they're also not going to be realistic shiny ones like Sunset makes. It would probably take me two weeks to make a pack of 26 unique tokens. Are you looking for them to have matching colors? It wouldn't be too hard at that point to use themed colors, so you had 2 or 3 different factions of the same units. Matching colors wouldn't be nessecary. If it made the job easier, I'd be all for it, but just having a dude in plainclothes or a single-color uniform would be fine as well.

Edited 1491865471
David
Sheet Author
B Simon Smith said: The problem with niche sets like this is that creators don't like to make them, as they won't see as many sales from such releases. That's why you see a ton of fantasy and sci-fi, and very little in the modern era. Early Modern (a period in time which included King Charles II being restored to the throne after Cromwell's death and the Palace of Versailles being built) is the swashbuckler and pirate period, I would say that is a lot less niche than Regency.