Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Player and GM ratings

Edited 1491789955
Hello, So one of the biggest problems I have when looking for a game or looking for players is figuring who's going to run a good game or who going to stick around for a game. It would be nice if we could rate a player or GM with maybe a star system or have the ability to write reviews. I know a system like this could be abused but I think the upsides would be worth it. 
Silvyre
Forum Champion
You may wish to support these related Suggestions: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2185689/player-and-gm-review-on-profile-page-shows-up-on-looking-for-group-and-forums" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2185689/player-and-gm-review-on-profile-page-shows-up-on-looking-for-group-and-forums</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1252838/player-accountability-slash-karma" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1252838/player-accountability-slash-karma</a>
Thanks for the heads up, I thought I did a thorough search of the forums but apparently not.&nbsp;
Any system can be abused but customer reviews work well and I think this would be more helpful then a problem. &nbsp;
Customer reviews work well sometimes, and often inconsistently. There are systems which can promote effectiveness. Being able to review the reviews helps a lot, as in "x people found this review helpful" and listing orders in descending order of x. Probably the simplest way to make reviews effective is to ensure that reviewers are responsible for their postings -- anonymity drastically works against this. But you can keep anonymity and make accounts sticky to promote responsibility. There are already systems in place at Roll20 that increase stickyness (like achievements), but more could be done. Relationships with other users are very sticky; to leverage this Roll20 would have to incorporate stronger social-network systems. You can curb abuse by putting in obstacles to keep accounts without sticky features from posting reviews. TL;DR Systems could be put in place to make reviews effective and to curb abuse, but they would not be trivial to implement nor 100% effective in preventing abuse.
Nothing prevents all abuse, that's a pretty high standard to hold anything to. The point is to help get an idea of who you are playing with. The bios and achievements are pretty worthless when it comes to this. I've played for over 1,000 hours with over 250 people and my bio says I play games to have fun but that doesn't mean I'll get along with a GM or player. When I am setting up games I spend a lot of time interviewing my players and it still ends up being a crap shoot. When I am joining a game it's even worse.&nbsp; I think reviews can only be written by people who have played together and would be linked to your account. When you view someone's profile you would see the review written about them and by them. Maybe separated by if they were a player or gm.&nbsp;
No. Reviews are a horrible way to filter players and creates a roadblock for players new to the hobby. Too many GM's will just not even look at people that haven't played in a game and had any reviews written about them.
How is that different from people not checking the "New player" box when setting up their game?&nbsp;
Because not checking that box is not the same as filtering out new players simply based on reviews.
My point is that if a gm doesn't want new players there are already ways for them to filter them out. A simple check of their bio would do it quite easy. I don't see why having more information at your disposable is a bad thing.&nbsp; These all seem like very knee jerk reactions.&nbsp;
But not checking that doesn't mean new players can't apply.
Sky said: But not checking that doesn't mean new players can't apply. Neither would having a player rating. The point is moot. You clearly don't like the idea so don't upvote it but you aren't going to convince me that having less information about players is a good thing. I put a lot of work into the games I run or play in and I want to make sure the people I play with are going to be a good fit. Right now it's an utter crap-shoot with random players.&nbsp;
It's not about having less information, it's about preventing people from abusing the system and all around making it harder for new players to get into the hobby. This idea has always been a bad idea no matter what.
There are plenty of people who sign up for or take on player with low play hours. How would that be different then taking on a player with no ratings?
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
Technically speaking, someone could set up a dozen accounts, create 3-4 games and invite their alts into the game. Then turn around and leave all the accounts glowing reviews.
Peter B. said: And no matter what you do, unless you have played with them before, you have no idea what you're going to get by taking on a random player. Your rating system will not prevent this.&nbsp; It is so easy to abuse, that even horrible players can have glowing reviews, and you'll find out the hard way (just like you're doing right now) that sometimes people suck.&nbsp; Your idea will not prevent the jerks you want to avoid from getting into your games (unless you've played with them before or have heard through the grapevine), while you will now actively avoid people with no reviews, you'll be looking for the people with good reviews. And others will do the same. ... B Simon Smith said: Technically speaking, someone could set up a dozen accounts, create 3-4 games and invite their alts into the game. Then turn around and leave all the accounts glowing reviews. I'm not new to this, I've been playing games on forum going back to when I first got a dial up modem.&nbsp;I am quite amazed that people really think the abuse would be worse then simply not knowing anything about the players. As it stands players and gm's can simply use their anonymity to hide that they randomly drop games or cause problems. With a review system they would have to at least work to conceal themselves. At least when I played on other forum sites if I wanted an experienced group of players I could search for what the players and gm's had done previously.&nbsp; No system is perfect and trying to hold anything up to the standard of perfection is a trap, one that will impede any idea.&nbsp;

Edited 1493781519
With the addition of "pay to play" search options and tangential support for such games from Roll20 I would think that reviews would at least be serisouly considered.&nbsp;
Just wanted to point out to the naysayers of this, please make your own post and vote against this idea if it's that important. Suggestions are for people who support said suggestion. I for one think this would be a great idea, but, as stated at the top of the thread, there are other more developed threads for this idea and I've already thrown my support in on them. No system is perfect. And if you are honestly worried you can't get enough positive reviews to be part of a game, it's probably not a game you would have wanted to join anyways. Seriously, does nobody vet people anymore? I have a full vetting process for every applicant and start over a month before the game starts. And granted, even that's not perfect, but it's just a mitigation effect, lessening the chances that bunk player's will join. That's all a review system will be, another layer of mitigation, and that's all anyone is asking for.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Allowing people to ascribe a rating to other people is not something we really want on Roll20, even though I understand why it would be useful to weed out toxicity in peer-driven games like tabletop. We don't foresee this feature being on our radar for a long time, at least until we can figure out the ethical implications of it. This type of feature can and has been very easily abused before. On toxic users though, that is why our dev and mod team is here. We absolutely want to weed out toxic users and abusive users but rating is not the way to do that. Reporting toxic behavior is. Please report any users that violate our code of conduct and if you don't see a report button on the relevant interaction, please email us at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> I hope you understand our firm stance on this. I'll be closing this thread and releasing your votes.