Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

API Bloat?

Is it possible to create bloat by adding to many API scripts aka will it ever add lag?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
It really depends on what the scripts are doing.  If you had a ton of scripts that all registered for the same event and were doing non-trivial things when the event occurred, it could slow things down during those events.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Are you having an issue with the API being slow?

Edited 1492047907
No I'm just worried that I'm getting too API happy and reaching some limit.  I'm adding a lot of QOL APIs and I don't want to hit some wall where it really diminishes the return on all these APIs.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I worry about this too. Mainly because so much of it is obviously based on witchcraft and wizardry, that I am mysitified.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Well, I don't really notice any slowdown... Granted, this is my API Testing! game and not a game with others, but I only really turn things off as an afterthought... =D
Holy crap, guess I don't have to worry to much.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
=D  I mean, it could be a concern in some circumstances... but it would generally be some rogue script.

Edited 1492055992
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
An API script won't directly slow down your game (it's running on the server, not locally), and a truly misbehaving script will get its rate throttled to protect other people's API scripts (all on the same server) from getting caught up. The most likely worst-case of having too many API scripts in a campaign trying to do too many things is that the responsiveness of the scripts will go down (or the script will simply crash). Non-script aspects of the campaign should remain unaffected. If you're packing a ton of stuff into your campaign, you're more likely to get hammered for having dozens upon dozens of characters and handouts and images (especially large images) than due to something your API scripts are doing.
Does the amount of scripts affect campaign load times, or is that also more related to the number of characters?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
More related to the number of characters.  More scripts can definitely affect API startup time, usually when they are doing something like preprocessing all the characters or similar.