Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×
Advertisement Create a free account

API access with standard account?

Apologies if this has been asked before. I couldn't find an answer by searching so I thought I'd ask.  I wanted to cancel my Pro membership over the summer because I don't game over the summer. But I want to develop some more API scripts for my after summer campaign. Is there a membership or perk level for API developers such that I wouldn't have to pay for Pro over the summer?
1492364551
Brian
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No. If you want to develop scripts, you need a Pro subscription.
Brian said: No. If you want to develop scripts, you need a Pro subscription. Cool, thanks. Meh, $10/month ain't bad then. 
1492371361
Silvyre
Forum Champion
You could ask a Pro friend to promote you to GM in a Game that they create. You'll then have access to the API Console (but will still need their help, for example, to clear the Chat Archive).
1492429161

Edited 1492429201
I would be curious about developing stuff for Roll20 and releasing it under a license to allow it to be freely distributed; effectively, ideally, improving the entire project as a collective. I'm not really that interested in paying a monthly subscription (to do work, lol) on that level though, at this point in my roll20 career, so I don't.
1492444229

Edited 1492444305
Zn, the Apostate said: I would be curious about developing stuff for Roll20 and releasing it under a license to allow it to be freely distributed; effectively, ideally, improving the entire project as a collective. I'm not really that interested in paying a monthly subscription (to do work, lol) on that level though, at this point in my roll20 career, so I don't. My exact thought process when I started to look at my subscription. A lot of other API's I've used are free open source or they let you make a number of API calls per month before requiring payment. I'm just going to end my subscription. There should be a way to monetize API scripts and sheets just like they do with user created content in the marketplace.  Silvyre, good suggestion but I think that would violate the terms of use?
1492448506
Brian
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Zn, the Apostate said: I would be curious about developing stuff for Roll20 and releasing it under a license to allow it to be freely distributed All API scripts added to the official Roll20 API scripts repo are licensed with the MIT license. There are a few API scripts floating around not in the official repo (I believe Power Cards isn't and that's probably the biggest one), but generally, API scripts are MIT. Grognardus said: There should be a way to monetize API scripts and sheets just like they do with user created content in the marketplace.  I believe that was brought up in the recent round table discussion, and the response was that there aren't currently any such plans, but you can  link a Patreon account to API scripts you submit for one-click installation integration.
1492449136

Edited 1492449228
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Grognardus said: Silvyre, good suggestion but I think that would violate the terms of use? Rest assured; developing API Scripts within a Pro friend's Game does not violate the ToS or its spirit. Very recently, the Devs stated their interest in "creating a feature-complete sandbox for development" to support community creators like yourself. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you could volunteer to co-GM a Pro friend's Game, and use that Game to develop scripts on the side.
Great info. Alas, I have no friends...