Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Could use some help with macros

I made a few macros for my players that cover basic actions [like attacking, skill checks ect] and will automatically grab information from the player's character sheet [like strength bonuses, weapon accuracy ect]. The hope was to speed things up by removing the need to check the character sheet quite as often, the issue is that in the larger battles all of the token clicking is really slowing things down.  Is there any way to link a macro to the default character sheet's 'Attributes and Abilities' tab instead of the character token? Is there a tag or argument that I'm missing or is this something that I would need to make a custom sheet to achieve?
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
If you want to make a macro in the macro tab, and not on a sheet, you can simply use @{bob|strength} to reference bobs strength. 
Be aware of the difference between Macros and Abilities. People around here tend to throw around their terminology a little loosely, leading to confusion. Macros live in the Collection tab in the Sidebar. They are global and not linked to any particular Character or Token. Any time you want to refer to a Token's Bars or to the Attributes of a Character, you have to use a name or a keyword to specify which one (e.g., @{selected|bar1} or @{John Smith|Strength}). If you make a Macro a Token Action, it appears for all Tokens. Abilities live in the Attributes & Abilities tab of a Character. They are specific to that Character and do not apply to any other, though you can still reference other characters in the same way that Macros can. If you do not specify a name or keyword of an Attribute in an Ability, it refers to an Attribute of that name in that Character (e.g., @{Strength} in an Ability in the Character John Smith). If you make an Ability into a Token Action, it appears only for Tokens linked to that Character.
I would probably use token actions, and just duplicate template character sheets.  You could use (for example) @{selected|strength}, since the token would have to be selected for the ability macro button to appear (make sure you click the checkbox to make it a token action when you create the ability).  Then, you could just make a template character sheet with all the abilities you want already set up, duplicate the sheet for all your players, and have them fill in their attributes, and the token actions will already be in place.
Perfect, thanks for the information and quick response everyone, I changed the macros from Global to Abilities and that did what I wanted.