Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Pathfinder: 6th Level Wizard needs help with equipment!

Hey all i have a gnome wizard and I am unsure of what to get with the 16,000 gp I am starting with. If Stats are important str 10 dex 16 con 14 int 18 wis 10 cha 9. I have Magic crafting feats for arms and armor and wonderous item but lets assume my gm won't let me use those feats for my starting items. Thoughts or suggestions?
Bag of holding (type II) 5,000 gp Scarlet and blue Ioun Stone 8,000 gp Amulet of Spell Cunning 10,000 gp
wands

Edited 1385868192
Gauss
Forum Champion
Here is a list of equipment I would suggest for any level 6 Wizard type. This is more than you can afford so you will have to pick and choose. Defenses: +1 Mithral Buckler (2005gp or 1505gp crafted) +1 Amulet of Natural Armor (2,000gp or 1,000gp crafted) +1 Ring of Protection (2,000gp, note: if you have your Ring as your Arcane Bond I suggest waiting until level 7) +2 Cloak of Resistance (4,000gp or 2,000gp crafted) with Muleback Cords (1,500gp or 750gp crafted) Spellcasting: +2 Headband of Vast Intelligence (4,000gp or 2,000gp crafted) 2x Pearl of Power 1 (1,000gp each or 500gp crafted) 1x Pearl of Power 2 (4,000gp each or 2,000gp crafted) Lesser Rod of Extend Spell (3,000gp) Lesser Rod of Reach Spell (3,000gp) Extra Level 1 spells in spellbook: 15gp each Extra level 2 spells in spellbook: 60gp each Extra level 3 spells in spellbook: 135gp each Miscellaneous: Eyes of the Eagle (2,500gp or 1,250gp crafted) Quick Runner's Shirt (1,000gp or 500gp crafted) Spellguard Bracers (5,000gp or 2,500gp crafted) Handy Haversack (if no Muleback Cords; 2,000gp or 1,000gp crafted)
wow gauss much appreciated ^_^
Gauss
Forum Champion
If you would like more advice regarding Pathfinder wizards let me know. I love my GOD wizard. :)
Fang Of Asgard said: Hey all i have a gnome wizard and I am unsure of what to get with the 16,000 gp I am starting with. If Stats are important str 10 dex 16 con 14 int 18 wis 10 cha 9. I have Magic crafting feats for arms and armor and wonderous item but lets assume my gm won't let me use those feats for my starting items. Thoughts or suggestions? Great suggestions already, I would say the Handy Haversack would be a must if you are going to have much equipment with a 10 strength. Also, I love the Ring of Sustenance, it lets you not worry about food and drink and only sleep 2 hours a night making shifts a lot easier. It is only 2500 gp. Pearls of Power are wonderful for Wizards, I personally would go with 4 level 1, rather than a single level 2. Load up on these, as many as you can afford in my opinion. More spells in your spellbook is another great suggestion. I like Mage Armor for defense along with the shield spell. I think there is a trait you can take that let's you cast extend or any 1 bump metamagic on a spell without increasing it's level, using this with the spell "shield" and the feat "extend" you would be at least AC 21 for 12 minutes at a time. When you run out, Pearl of Power and you are back to 21. Also, keep in mind, that you don't have to normally get a wand at full charge. You can get a wand with 20 charges for example, instead of 50, at 40% of the cost. Doing so, you could get a Wand of Magic Missile, CL 9 and 20 charges for 2,700 gp instead of 6,750 gp for the fully charged one. At your level it might be better to go with Pearls of Power and cast your own MM's, but it is another option. I think you have to be 8th level to make a headband of intellect, but that would be the first thing I made when I hit 8th level if I were you, get that Intelligence up there in the stratosphere and up those DC's. Also, in PF, it gives you skills as well, iirc. Have fun with it, I love arcane casters, there are SO MANY options...

Edited 1386206192
Gauss
Forum Champion
There is no level requirement to making a Headband of Intellect. CL determines the DC and is not a prerequisite. Additionally, if there is a caster level pre-requisite (such as with an Amulet of Natural Armor) you can bypass that pre-requisite by adding +5 to the crafting DC. Both of these are covered in the Pathfinder FAQs. Clarification: while CL means Caster Level it is not a prerequisite unless listed in the requirements section of the magic item. Here are the two FAQs <a href="http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9n8m" rel="nofollow">http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9n8m</a> <a href="http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qc0" rel="nofollow">http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qc0</a>
That is interesting Gauss. I always went by the core rulebook page 460 : "For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the item itself. In this case, the creator’s caster level must be as high as the item’s caster level (and prerequisites may effectively put a higher minimum on the creator’s level)." I took that to mean that if the headband of intellect had a cl of 8, you had to be 8th level to make one. Will read the faq though, it sounds like it might contradict the book, or at least the edition I have.
Paul S.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you go the wand route, you will want efficient quiver. They aren't expensive at 1800 gold. Headband of intellect becomes a wise investment and was the first magic item my god wizard got. If you haven't already picked a trait - go with magic lineage which allows you to cast 1 specific meta spell at one level lower than the total. Very awesome for fireball. Bond arcane object Wand. This will allow you to charge the wand as per the crafting feat (50 magic missiles) as well as having one extra free spell stored in it ( vanish is my favorite).

Edited 1386227625
Gauss
Forum Champion
Daniel , which printing of the Core Rulebook do you have? The line "In this case..." is not in the sixth printing (the most recent version). If you go to: <a href="https://secure.paizo.com/paizo/account/assets" rel="nofollow">https://secure.paizo.com/paizo/account/assets</a> you can get the errata.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Paul. the problem with using a wand as an Arcane Bond is that if it is taken from you it basically removes your spellcasting ability (forces you to make difficult concentration checks). I prefer a ring because rings are very hard to remove.
Paul S.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Agree Gauss - that is the draw back. But it can be replaced. Rings are a good choice for bonded objects I was just presenting the wand option as a way of carrying some extra spells.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yeah, I just have a personal *twitch* when someone can walk up to you, perform an easy disarm check and remove your ability ability to reliably cast spells.