Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5e Shaped] Completely Lost - Need Help With Monk Macros (D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet)

Hi guys. After days of extensive searching, reading and lots of trial and error, I've come to the conclusion that this macro system is simply above my level of comprehension. In a week I'm about to play my first game here on Roll20, and I'm playing a level 3 Dwarf Monk. To make things go smoother and to learn how I would set up future macros for my character, I hope that a kind soul would provide me with macros for the following: 1) Flurry of Blows that automatically subtract a Ki point from my uses. 2) Patient Defense that automatically subtract a Ki point from my uses. 3) Step of the Wind that automatically subtract a Ki point from my uses. If it is even possible, I would also like it to say how many points I have left (i.e "Character name" uses Flurry of Blows 2/3 Ki points left) I know that they should be fairly simple to make, but I simply can't wrap my head around it, but if someone out there would be kind enough to write them up, I would be immensely grateful. Also I'm not sure if I have to add them under macros, or on the Attachers part of the sheet, or make it an attribute/ability under that tab on the sheet, so if you could also advice me where to write it, that would be a great help too. Thanks in advance Kasper N:
Unfortunately, updating values cannot be done in a macro without access to the API (a pro level perk). If your GM is a pro member, ask him/her to add Jakob's ChatSetAttr script to the API. This is a great script created by a community member that is perfect for what you are wanting to do. As to whether to create the macro as a global macro (in the macros tab) or as a character ability (on the Attributes and Abilities tab of the character sheet), my personal recommendation is to create it as an ability. You are wanting to directly access information specific to a single character and as an ability you can simplify the macro to make more sense of the macro and understand it better.
I know it is rather daunting but once done for one, it will be easy to do the others. I will point you to the  documentation , specifically the section surrounding adding the monk abilities. See if this helps you get started and ping back if get stuck on a certain point. I will say that you can not subtract ki points unless your GM is a PRO user and has added the 5e Shaped companion API script. 
Thanks a lot for the quick replies guys! If I come to enjoy Roll20 I will definitely consider paying for a subscription. Thanks HLazar for pointing out that section of the documentation. I never even read that far down, as I was juggling between guides, trying to find one that catered to my experience-level of macro'ing/programming, which is nearly non-existant. Almost all guides I found, seemed to assume you had basic understanding on where to write it, in which order to write it or similar basic knowledge.
Kasper N. said: Thanks a lot for the quick replies guys! If I come to enjoy Roll20 I will definitely consider paying for a subscription. Thanks HLazar for pointing out that section of the documentation. I never even read that far down, as I was juggling between guides, trying to find one that catered to my experience-level of macro'ing/programming, which is nearly non-existant. Almost all guides I found, seemed to assume you had basic understanding on where to write it, in which order to write it or similar basic knowledge. I know. There are general users and then more advanced users. I am working on an FAQ for the former. Seriously, don't hesitate to reply or ping me if you get stuck or even if you need help getting started. But it is good to figure it out a bit yourself so you can adapt whatever you need in the future.  H
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This is a quite advanced desire, technically. One of the main goals of my sheet is that custom macros are never needed. The goal is that this could be handled with the sheet and script, but decrementing the uses of another repeating item is technically difficult and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to accomplish the UI that I want for it.
Thanks for your input guys! I would also like to say that you've done an amazing job on the sheet Kryx. As one who loves to design custom character sheets (for RL pen and paper, not virtual), I can appreciate how much time and effort it takes to make a sheet that mirrors what you intend and desire to do with it. Keep up the good work!