Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help with a macro please.

How would someone make a roll that rolls a dice or set of dice twice, and adds the results together, but has a maximum of the original roll cap. Example: rolling 1d8, and it lands on 3. Then roll 1d8 again, it lands on 7. 3+7 = 10, but the maximum for the roll is 8, so it comes up as 8. This is something i want to add in a larger roll macro, because additional rolls and numbers need to be added into the same macro. The system this is for is Mythras, a Theism spell called "True (Weapon)". It rolls the weapon base damage twice up to a maximum of the highest damage it can deal, then adds damage modifier (also dice rolls) as normal.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
[[ {2d8,8d1}kl1 ]] That will make a group containing  2d8 added together and 8d1 (a way to right a constant in dice notation, will always be 8), then will choose the lower number of the rolls in the group.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
You'd just use the  Drop/Keep function along side  Grouping rolls for something like [[{2d8, 0d0+8}kl1]]  This will roll 2d8. compare it to 0d0+8  and keep the lower of the 2. 
Thank you very much!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ooh.. Franky's answer is much better written.. I need more coffee... =D The reason 8 needs to be expressed as either 8d1 or 0d0+8 is because groups must contain a homogenous mix of values.  Either all numbers or all dice.  You could use inline rolls to turn the 2d8 into a pure number and do this: [[ { [[2d8]], 8}kl1 ]] But then you couldn't see what was actually rolled, which might be fine. There are lots of options depending on how you want it. =D
Silvyre
Forum Champion
I'm a fan of [[ {2d8, {8} }kl1 ]]. The Aaron said: The reason 8 needs to be expressed as either 8d1 or 0d0+8 is because groups must contain a homogenous mix of values.  Either all numbers or all dice. Yup; that's documented here .