Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rolling rules I can't seem to find (or don't exsist)

Two main rules I've been trying to find for rolling because of certain Pathfinder abilities my character(s) have... firstly... 1s = 2... 2s=3... 3s=4... etc. (# turns into different number...) for example, there's a mythic ability you can get up to 4 times, each time is a higher number... so if I rolled 5d8, then all 1 through 4 = 5 but it's still only a 1 in 8 chance of rolling above 5 so simply making it another sized dice wouldn't be right... Secondly, one I vaguely saw by luck but no solution... re-rolling a single time... for example, rogues can get to re-roll 1s and 2s on sneak dice once... those 1s can still be 1s, those 2s can be 2s or turn into 1s...
See the Dice Reference in the Wiki ( <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference</a> ) More specifically, you want the section on Rerolling Dice ( <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference#Rerolling_Dice_.28B.2CF.29_rCP" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference#Rerolling_Dice_.28B.2CF.29_rCP</a> ). Your examples would be 5d8r&lt;4 (in Roll20,&nbsp;&lt; is the evaluated as &lt;= ) and 1d6ro&lt;2 .
5d8r&lt;4 is not the same as minimum 5 on a die roll Rabulias.&nbsp;

Edited 1492644822
I thought I explained it well enough... the number should flat out turn into the higher number (if you mean the first part of what I was asking)..... or it should only be a single re-roll (if you're talking about part 2)... I'm aware of infinite re-rolls until you get above X, but they're suppose to be finite, not infinite... does this help clarify my meaning?
The first part. 5d8r&lt;4 is not the same odds as anything lower than a five becoming a five. Instead of a 1 in 8 chance to roll a 5 it becomes a 5 in 8 chance, while six, seven, and eight all remain 1 in 8. Re-rolling until you get a 5 or higher is not the same odds. I can't think of a way to use the keep higher roll option to mimic this however unless you break it apart into five separate rolls. [[ {1d8, 0d0 + 5}kh1 +&nbsp;{1d8, 0d0 + 5}kh1 + {1d8, 0d0 + 5}kh1 + {1d8, 0d0 + 5}kh1 + {1d8, 0d0 + 5}kh1 ]]

Edited 1492646542
either I have some ultra horrible luck, or that doesn't work... tried it a few dozen times and highest I got was 32, with most being below 30... might be my luck... I've rolled lower than a 10 point buy multiple times...
after smaller testing, THANKS!!! I see it working now (tried it on 2d#) also figured out how to alter it as needed... (sometimes need it for d6s)... now just need a singular re-roll thing!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
For your first part, Rollable tables are ideal. I have a script to create them, but you can do it manually. I set up tables like d8min5 with the following names/weights: "5" with weight 5 "6" with weight 1 "7" with weight 1 "8" with weight 1 then you can roll them easily like: [[ 4t[d8min5] ]] and they work like regular dice with the correct probability.&nbsp;
The Aaron, would those tables work for exploding dice?&nbsp; I'm trying to prepare for a CJ Carella's WitchCraft game.&nbsp; It's Unisystem, so uses a d10 instead of d20, but its explosive crit & crit failure has my head spinning try to figure out a macro for it.&nbsp; The initial roll provides the base number used from 1 to 10, but on a 1 or a 10 the die explodes.&nbsp; On a 10 if the secondary roll is 1 though 5 nothing is added while a 6 is +1, 7 is +2, 8 is +3 and 9 is +4.&nbsp; Another 10 is a +5, but the die explodes and the process repeats until the total is complete.&nbsp; HOWEVER, if the initial roll is a 1, if the reroll is 10 through 6 nothing is added while 5 is -1, 4 is -2, 3 is -3, and 2 is -4.&nbsp; Another roll of 1 is a -5 with the same exploding process until complete.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Sky said: I can't think of a way to use the keep higher roll option to mimic this however unless you break it apart into five separate rolls. [[ {1d8, 0d0 + 5}kh1 +&nbsp;{1d8, 0d0 + 5}kh1 + {1d8, 0d0 + 5}kh1 + {1d8, 0d0 + 5}kh1 + {1d8, 0d0 + 5}kh1 ]] Could rewrite that like this: [[ {d8,d8,d8,d8,d8,{5},{5},{5},{5},{5}}kh5 ]] Nichademus , Rollable Tables unfortunately cannot handle exploding dice; it sounds like an API Script is your best bet.
Finguine said: I thought I explained it well enough... the number should flat out turn into the higher number (if you mean the first part of what I was asking)..... or it should only be a single re-roll (if you're talking about part 2)... I'm aware of infinite re-rolls until you get above X, but they're suppose to be finite, not infinite... does this help clarify my meaning? Sorry about the incorrect info on the minimum roll. The 1d6ro&lt;2 should work for your second question. The ro means reroll once .
Ah! Both questions answered then, just tested it too, thanks! Now the only problem would be I need to remember them.
Part 1a)... my character is going to be getting an ability that turns 1s into max, 2s to max, then 3s to max... so 1,2,or 3 becomes 6 (if d6) or 8 (if d8) etc... I thought I could figure it out from the info I got so far, but my head gets mixed up and I lose track of where I was... (doesn't help I'm building another character for another game now...)

Edited 1493253533
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Finguine said: 1,2,or 3 becomes 6 (if d6) This would be best handled by a Rollable Table. Alternatively, you could replace every instance of 1d6 with {[[1d6&lt;3]] * {6}, 1d3cf0 + 3}kh1, which emulates this mechanic.

Edited 1493254141
I think I'd have better odds of winning lotto than wrapping my head around that... but it seems to work pretty well, so thanks! This is definitely the best forum community I've seen in many years of playing anything. but uh... how'd I change it for the 1s and 2s? (changing all 3 wont come till later....)
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Finguine said: how'd I change it for the 1s and 2s? Any other mechanics that need to be considered? e.g. any from your first post in this thread?

Edited 1493255631
Those are just all I've come across because mythic does weird things... it's just that it takes 3 tiers to max at 3 so I'd need to start at just turning only 1s into max before up to 3s. (also knife master arctype makes it d8s)
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Finguine said: I'd need to start at just turning only 1s into max before up to 3s. Here's a Rollable Table that will do this: Table Item Weight 2 1 3 1 4 1 5 1 6 1 7 1 8 2 Alternatively, you could use [[ {1d8cf0 + 1, {8} }kl1 ]] in place of 1d8.