Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Need help on how to bring roll20 integrated module content to market

So I have been brainstorming on how to make some extra cash on the side and figured creating fully functional modules for one-shots and beyond would be fun. However I do not know what kinds of hurdles to expect beyond skimming copyrighted material. I am assuming that anything in the MM and PHB would be fair game to use since that is open content (I think). I plan to create the following material: -Story -Maps+DL -Pre-made PC's -Do I need to include statted tokens for all monsters? or recommend Roll20 MM? Any help would be appreciated!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Joshua. Congrats on your choice to create content for roll20. I would recommend reading our&nbsp; wiki pages about the marketplace. specifically the page about&nbsp; creating marketplace modules . If you have more questions and the pages do not have the needed information, you can post here your questions and if you need more information on top of that, you can email your questions to the devs at <a href="mailto:Team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">Team@roll20.net</a>.
Does Roll20 have any agreements with&nbsp; The Dungeon Masters Guild ? On their website they state: Can I distribute or sell my Dungeon Masters Guild title other places? Except for short promotional previews, you can only distribute and sell your Dungeon Masters Guild titles through the DMsGuild.com marketplace. If I wanted to create content under their DMG license it appears that I would not be able to bring it to market on Roll20.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Joshua D. said: Does Roll20 have any agreements with&nbsp; The Dungeon Masters Guild ? On their website they state: Can I distribute or sell my Dungeon Masters Guild title other places? Except for short promotional previews, you can only distribute and sell your Dungeon Masters Guild titles through the DMsGuild.com marketplace. If I wanted to create content under their DMG license it appears that I would not be able to bring it to market on Roll20. It would seem so, which is rather disappointing for the creators.
Given that Roll20 are getting content created by WotC published, any chance we'll see a reversal on this any time soon? Being able to cross-platform market would be a huge boon to both platforms :S.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Joshua D. said: I am assuming that anything in the MM and PHB would be fair game to use since that is open content (I think). This is absolutely not the case. Check carefully with the wording on the SRD. Mind flayers, for example are not usable without licensing. There are many others.

Edited 1493217595
Ya after doing more digging I figured that out, which led me to the Dungeon Master Guild, under their program you can use that kind of material, but you can only sell it on the DMsGuild.com marketplace (and 50% cut). Which is discouraging, since I wanted to build a fully compatible module on roll20. I am not really interested in opening myself up to a lawsuit by accidentally using non SRD content, and I don't know copyright/trademark law well enough to risk it. I am pretty sure that roll20 had stated that it was a goal of theirs to have more "ready to play" content for budding GM's, but a $49.95 price tag on the most popular modules is a big investment for someone who is just getting started. If the community could create more content without all these restrictions it could make prices more reasonable (assuming there are members of the community who would take advantage of the opportunity to create content).
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hello Everyone, I have a question about Tokens in a module. Do they have to be all new or can one use the free Tokens or even the Pro Tokens (for Pro users) that are provided for users? I don't see that issue noted in the Wiki. Thanks! /Matt

Edited 1493232546
When you are using someone else's art (tokens) for profit, you should either have an agreement to compensate them or permission from them to use it.
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Joshua D. said: When you are using someone else's art (tokens) for profit, you should either have an agreement to compensate them or permission from them to use it. But does that apply to the free tokens and the free Pro tokens for Pro users? I'm looking for an official comment from Roll20. /Matt
MattBx8 said: Joshua D. said: When you are using someone else's art (tokens) for profit, you should either have an agreement to compensate them or permission from them to use it. But does that apply to the free tokens and the free Pro tokens for Pro users? I'm looking for an official comment from Roll20. /Matt Hi Matt -- yes, indeed it does! Any time you use someone else's art for profit, you must first attain that artist's permission and credit them properly. Joshua D. said: Ya after doing more digging I figured that out, which led me to the Dungeon Master Guild, under their program you can use that kind of material, but you can only sell it on the DMsGuild.com marketplace (and 50% cut). Which is discouraging, since I wanted to build a fully compatible module on roll20. I am not really interested in opening myself up to a lawsuit by accidentally using non SRD content, and I don't know copyright/trademark law well enough to risk it. I am pretty sure that roll20 had stated that it was a goal of theirs to have more "ready to play" content for budding GM's, but a $49.95 price tag on the most popular modules is a big investment for someone who is just getting started. If the community could create more content without all these restrictions it could make prices more reasonable (assuming there are members of the community who would take advantage of the opportunity to create content). Hi Joshua -- if you're interested in applying to be a Creator on the Roll20 Marketplace, please email me at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a>! You can also browse the Marketplace to see what other community members like yourself are currently selling in the way of adventure modules. We have lots of non-licensed content and are very interested in selling more. When you're ready to get started, be sure to check out the&nbsp; Creating Marketplace Modules wiki to find out what goes into a module and some general guidelines for style and quality. Thanks!
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Thanks for the clarification, Suzanne. /Matt