Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll just damage

Is there a way, using the 5e OGL NPC sheets, to set up a macro to roll just the damage of an attack in the Actions section of the sheet? My newest campaign uses player-facing rolls (the players make an AC roll against an attack DC rather than I roll to attack them).  So I'm looking for an easy way to roll just the damage of an attack so it looks cleaner. If so, is it possible to automatically roll a crit?  (They get crit when they roll a 1 on their AC roll.) Thanks for any help!

Edited 1492959928
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep, the repeating roll you want is: %{keyword|repeating_npcaction_$X_npc_dmg} To set up the crit handling, you are going to need to do a bit of extra setup, but it's all just copy/paste. In your NPC's attack, insert the following after the damage type for damage 1: }} {{crit?{Critical|No,=|Yes,=1}}} {{crit1=[[@{attack_damage}]] It will look like this: If the NPC has a second damage, add this after the damage type of damage 2: }} {{crit2=[[@{attack_damage2}]] Unfortunately, It's not possible to display the description field in the damage template (it just doesn't have handling for it).
Well darnit.  I was hoping for the description as well.  I figured that part would be easy if the damage could be done.  Shows what I know.  I've never really used macros before.  All API and manual rolls. Thanks for the info!
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I actually had a thought on another way, I'll need to do some testing when I get home though
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ok, I think I have a solution for you. Set your NPC sheets to auto roll damage and crit. Then put this at the end of whatever you have in your description for your NPCs: }} {{r1=?{Critical|No, |Yes,[[1d1cs>1]]}}} {{r2=?{Critical} This will give the following as outputs (top is critical, bottom is normal roll): So, you wind up with 1's displayed on a critical, but you aren't dependent on what the NPC rolls. Happy Rolling
That's awesome! Out of curiosity, if I roll using the 3D dice, is there a way to make it not roll the d20?  It's not big deal if it's not possible.  I just figured you might know a way. Thank you!
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You could make a totally custom ability, but short of that, there isn't.
Darn.  Well thanks for all your help!   As I've said before, the people on the forums are what make Roll20 great.