Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting - Outdoor maps and/or Token LOS only

Edited 1493056565
Hey all, Is it possible to use dynamic lighting effectively in an outdoor map?  For example, I have a village map, and while I can block off the buildings with lighting walls, that means the buildings are perpetually black blobs rather than having the roof visible, etc. Similarly, is it possible to enforce line of sight ONLY for other tokens?  For example, say the PCs know an area well - it's a fort they've been in or a village they've been spending their time in.  So they know the layout of buildings and what's around the corner as far as the layout goes, they just don't know if there's a zombie in that alley until they look into it. Thanks!
For the second that's what GM layer is for surely?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Possible to use it effectively: Yes Possible to only hide tokens: No, though this is a much requested feature (Look at the top ranked suggestions, you'll see it) The black blobs are pretty much unavoidable at the moment.
Jim W. said: For the second that's what GM layer is for surely? Well, that's if I want to see the tokens, but I don't want them to, on a blanket basis.  I want them to be able to see the tokens if they're in line of sight, but hidden if they're not. The Aaron said: Possible to use it effectively: Yes Possible to only hide tokens: No, though this is a much requested feature (Look at the top ranked suggestions, you'll see it) The black blobs are pretty much unavoidable at the moment. Fair enough, I thought I might be missing something but if that's how it works out I'll probably just cross my fingers and hope that suggestion gets implemented. :) Thanks for the info!  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Jason P. said: Jim W. said: For the second that's what GM layer is for surely? Well, that's if I want to see the tokens, but I don't want them to, on a blanket basis.  I want them to be able to see the tokens if they're in line of sight, but hidden if they're not. So when they can see where the token is, move it to the objects layer?  Use the Bump script if you feel moving the token from the GM layer to the Objects layer and back takes too much time.  Bump is great for that.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
You can dump a token inside the buildings which is controlled by the players which lets them see 'inside' the building.  Plenty of people use 'invisible tokens', and I tend to use a Lantern token.  It's also a way to let observers watch your game, give them a token they can collectively control or a suite of them.
Ahhhhhh, that's a great idea, I like it.