Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

running dual monitors

I run 2 monitors, is there a way to put just the map on 1 and disconnect the side bar with the chat, dice rolling and character sheets on the secondary?
Yes.
lol ok any idea how I do that? it looks like I can run 2 instances in seperate windows but is that the best option?
Double click the tabs at the top and there's a button, top left, on character sheets and handouts to pop them out.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Double click the icon for the chat sidebar. It will become a floating window. The same is true for the Jukebox. Any character sheet our journal can also be popped out by clicking the little icon in the upper left corner. They can be positioned anywhere, but you will lose some functionality. Drag and drop from the compendium will be lost, though depending on your game system, this may not be an issue. Also, some things might require a double click: one to activate the window you want, and a second to actually click the button or link. There are other quirks, but you will discover them as you go along.
that did it thank you all
Another option is to log into the game using the same account in another window.  I prefer this method because of the issues keith listed above (plus a few others).  That way I can hide the toolbar completely on my map window, and use the toolbar on my non-map window.
Three of Swords said: Another option is to log into the game using the same account in another window.  I prefer this method because of the issues keith listed above (plus a few others).  That way I can hide the toolbar completely on my map window, and use the toolbar on my non-map window. Me too open in another window and then on the main windows hide the chat windows with the 3 lines. I used 2 monitors and my ipad. The ipad is set to chat windows.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Craven . said: Three of Swords said: Another option is to log into the game using the same account in another window.  I prefer this method because of the issues keith listed above (plus a few others).  That way I can hide the toolbar completely on my map window, and use the toolbar on my non-map window. Me too open in another window and then on the main windows hide the chat windows with the 3 lines. I used 2 monitors and my ipad. The ipad is set to chat windows. I use different accounts on Chrome to do this.  That lets me have multiple Roll20 Sessions open on different games without getting the "last in" game on refresh, but also gives nice distinct sessions when in the same game.

Edited 1493154648
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm, that might be a better solution than I have right now, using Firefox. I have hotkeyed Applescripts set up to automatically switch around window orientations (I'm also running OBS, Skype and Google Docs at the same time), but if I can figure out a way to let AS know which instance is which, that should reduce some overhead.
Roll20 seems much more written for Chrome. It loads much faster on Chrome than Firefox. I am a Firefox user for everything but Roll20.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I realized I could use the bounds of the windows to differentiate player from GM instances. I'm liking this idea. Anything to reduce overhead. Once WebRTC becomes stable*, I can drop Skype, too. ____________________________________________ *I have faith. And boundless patience.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: I realized I could use the bounds of the windows to differentiate player from GM instances. I'm liking this idea. Anything to reduce overhead. Once WebRTC becomes stable*, I can drop Skype, too. ____________________________________________ *I have faith. And boundless patience. I have vastly different themes for each account to solve that problem. :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Aaron said: keithcurtis said: I realized I could use the bounds of the windows to differentiate player from GM instances. I have vastly different themes for each account to solve that problem. :) Yeah, I use Stylish on the player account to hide all of the controls, since it's used entirely for recording the game. I meant a way for Applescript to determine which was which. I use hotkeyed Applescripts to call up and hide particular windows, and it has to know which is which. I can't go by the title property, since that's the same, regardless of user. But since the player window stays on the external monitor, I can differentiate it using the bounds property.