Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Problem with Camera controls in chrome

I can't change which camera is being used by chrome to broadcast in the roll20 client. It doesn't seem chrome related since chrome has access to all of my cameras but roll20 seems to default to a particular camera and doesn't allow it to change. Is this a bug? How can I make roll20 select the correct camera?
Also exactly same issue. Logitech C310.

Edited 1493607791
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Have you clicked on the padlock symbol at the top of the page next to the URL for the setting popup? If you go down to the bottom there should be a site settings link that will take you to a popup menu that you can scroll down towards the bottom where you can select your default audio and camera. Check to see what you have set as default.
No that doesn't work. I've tried both of these options. Here are screenshots from my chrome. Here is what happens when I click the camera.. the option to switch is greyed out. This is what cameras I have available. The highlighted one is the default one, but it isn't used by roll20. This is what I have under the "lock"
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ok. Thank you for the feedback. Just to be sure, this is when you are in your game with 2 or more people present? If there is not two people in the game room at the same time, the Audio/Video is inactive. If this is happening with you and at least another person, try the following. Let's carefully work through Steps 1 through 8 of the Roll20 guide to Audio Visual Troubleshooting : Step 1: Make sure you’re using the most recent version of either Chrome or Firefox Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Give Roll20 permission to use your microphone and camera Step 3: Make sure Video and Voice are turned on inside Roll20 Step 4: Clear your Web Browser’s Cache Step 5: Make sure you have the right ports open Step 6: Check if your camera is working with WebRTC Step 7: Check that your camera is functioning Step 8: Do a bandwidth test If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through Step 9 : Step 9: Solving Technical Issues Step 9.2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 9.4: Provide a bug report Please ensure that the Console Log is complete. If you have a macbook pro (or a macbook in general), try this: open a terminal and type "sudo killall VDCAssistant" to see if this solves the issue. Information can be found here in an Apple forum post . Thank you!
Yes I am aware that you need at least 2 people in the game in order for the camera to be picked up. I've been using roll20 for over 2 years now. Also I'm not using a Macbook Pro on Mac OS X, so the command you gave isn't relevant. Here are screen shots of all the information you requested. The thread on "making a bug report" links to a closed thread so I'm not sure what else to do about it.
Step 1: Make sure you’re using the most recent version of either Chrome or Firefox Step 2: Give Roll20 permission to use your microphone and camera Step 3: Make sure Video and Voice are turned on inside Roll20 I have video enabled. It doesn't matter if Video Only or Video and Voice are turned on, the result is the same. (I tried it with both). Step 4: Clear your Web Browser’s Cache After doing that here is the result, it's identical to the last time I sent the camera settings. Step 5: Make sure you have the right ports open There's no listing for ports, but here is what the result is when I used the WebRTC Test App You'll notice that it's using the -correct- camera even though roll20 is -not-. Step 6: Check if your camera is working with WebRTC See above. Step 7: Check that your camera is functioning See above. Step 8: Do a bandwidth test Step 9: Provide a bug report Below are my support details and my attempt to use the camera in incognito mode, no changes from the current problem. This is an incognito mode window with no extensions, you can see the problem is still there. These are the results of my WebRTC Test Run.
Step 9: Here's the Gm's settings for video and the console log from when I attempted to "reconnect" to the video call I don't know what other console log you could want since I don't know what the issue is.
For completeness, FireFox exhibits a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PROBLEM. Where I can select which camera I use.. but the client doesn't display my camera or the camera of anyone else in the channel, even though this problem does not appear in chrome whatsoever. Screenshots below. These are our profile static pictures but not our cameras. This problem does -not- occur in chrome. This problem occurs regardless of if I use Video Only or Video + Voice but here are my settings to confirm.
Also with Firefox, like with chrome, opening the "Check to see if your camera works with Google’s WebRTC demo " works flawlessly, but roll20 does -not- work.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thank you for your information, I'm going to pass this along to the devs.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Roll20's WebRTC isn't designed at present to be able to choose a camera. As is, WebRTC pings the browser and asks for a camera source to broadcast, which the browser then provides. The camera choice is dependent on the browser.
If that were true, then why would it be that my default camera, setup by my browser settings and confirmed here through screenshots, wouldn't be provided by the browser, but instead I get a non-default option? (This is with the camera not being used by any other program and confirmed to be able to be used by other WebRTC programs flawlessly). 
Just confirmed with appear.in that when I change my default camera in the browser settings, it auto picks up the default camera. (Their WebRTC seems to work similar to yours, picks one provided by browser and doesn't allow changing). I changed it back to my preferred camera and then went into appear.in again and the change was (again) picked up by appear.in 's WebRTC. I have a theory to propose: Perhaps roll20's WebRTC does some kind of camera device selection caching?
Gid
Roll20 Team
Marc M. said: Just confirmed with appear.in that when I change my default camera in the browser settings, it auto picks up the default camera. (Their WebRTC seems to work similar to yours, picks one provided by browser and doesn't allow changing). I changed it back to my preferred camera and then went into appear.in again and the change was (again) picked up by appear.in 's WebRTC. I have a theory to propose: Perhaps roll20's WebRTC does some kind of camera device selection caching? If it is a caching issue, have you tried a cache cleanses between swapping around your browser camera selections? Is there any other effect as to whether Roll20 is pointed to a different cam device afterwards?
Roll20 never points at a different camera from one session to another. I've tried cache clearing on chrome and that does not appear to solve the issue. I've also tried it in incognito mode, which does not have the cache of the main browser as well, and the problem still exists.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Hi Marc, I don't know if you're still running into this issue still, but we wanted to let you know that we're still trying to dig into what may be causing this issue.
I am still having the issue, yes. Thank you for your continued effort in this matter.

Edited 1498432027
I just wanted to chime in that I'm having the same problem, in this case on an iMac using Chrome. In roll20, when using chrome, it will always select my built in facetime camera, greying out the menu to select which camera. (I can switch mics fine.) This is the case even though my higher quality USB web cam is set as the default in Chrome's settings and works in hangouts. Since the facetime camera is built in, I can't simply unplug it. Clearing cache does nothing and the USB webcam is authorized and is selected as the default in general settings and site settings. Firefox allows me to select the USB camera, but the quality seems lower. It's not the biggest problem in the world, but it's the one fly in my roll20 bliss at the moment. (Edit: To be clear the WebRTC test app default selects the correct USB webcam.) (Edit again: in case it is relevant, we do happen to be using the same camera. I have a Logitech C920 as well.)

Edited 1498693754
I am having this problem as well.  I have checked the settings in Chrome, and it's set to use my Logitech c910.  In Roll20, it's set to xsplit and is greyed out and can't change it.   It works in Edge....go figure And yes, I have cleared my browser history, reset chrome and pretty much everything besides uninstall xsplit so it can't choose it....that stops me from streaming my games, so yeah, that's just NOT acceptable.
I'm also having the same problem. Pretty much exactly as the others described. I have no issues with Firefox, just chrome.

Edited 1500661939
I have the exact same problem. Chrome on Mac Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit) always picks the Facetime camera on my laptop and never the external Logitech C920. It does this regardless of the Camera setting in Chrome. However, I can switch the camera in Chrome and have the app at&nbsp; <a href="https://webrtc.org/reference-apps/" rel="nofollow">https://webrtc.org/reference-apps/</a> (appr.tc) always switch back and forth. It works totally correctly on the webrtc test app. This is definitely a problem with Roll20. edit: Works properly in Firefox. I can choose which camera to use and it only uses that one. edit: UPDATE: On my MacBook Pro, if I keep the lid closed but use an external monitor and camera (C920) then Chrome only sees that camera and mic and Roll20 picks them up perfectly. I can then open the lid on the laptop and the external camera stays active. However, if I launch Roll20 in Chrome with the lid open, Roll20 will only see the Facetime camera and not the external. (macOS Sierra, 2015 MacBook Pro).
I too am experiencing the same problem. I've been convinced it's a problem with some ghosting XSplit registry or some such, but I've scoured every drive for any remnants and have found nothing. It exhibits odd behavior as well, disabling all incoming &nbsp;video from my players as well as my own. Been ongoing for 2+ weeks at this point.
I'm having the same issue, and I agree that I think it might have something to do with Xsplit or OBS. I started having the problems the first time I streamed using my default device.Not sure how to deal with it but I've been without a camera or audio for the past 3 or 4 sessions.&nbsp;

Edited 1502637834
Just to tie threads, this is also reported here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5219163/roll20-wont-access-my-built-in-webcam-has-this-weird-xsplit-thing-instead" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5219163/roll20-wont-access-my-built-in-webcam-has-this-weird-xsplit-thing-instead</a> Any updates would be great.
I have the same problem. I can select either my external webcam or the laptop's built-in one on any of the RTC test sites, but Roll20 only sees the virtual camera for FaceRig. This only happens in Chrome; FireFox allows selecting the real cameras.
XophRA
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
I had the same issue last week, it was extremely frustrating. It even did this when XSplit wasnt running; I had to uninstall XSplit to fix it. I think it has something to do with XSplit virtual camera, but I have no idea how to turn that off.
Exact same issue involving Xsplit here.
I am also having the exact same issues with Chrome and Firefox. Now I went and downloaded Opera browser. Here's the funny thing. The same problem is happening with Opera. BUT If you click on the Page Info button next to the URL header, tell Opera to deny all access to mic and camera while in Roll20. It will reload the browser. After that, enable the mic and camera and it will let you choose the mic and camera, pick the ones you want and then it all starts working fine.&nbsp; Randomly, I will lose camera feed, however. It happens once every couple of hours. I repeat the process above to get them back on. This trick only works with Opera Browser.&nbsp;
I am also having the same issue as well and cannot choose anything other than xsplit.&nbsp;
It might have to be the Roll20 Devs contacting the XSplit devs on this issue.
I too have the same issue, but with it forcing to use facerig
Same issue here.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Hey Everyone, I found this thread searching for fixes to this same problem, and get this, it has nothing to do with Roll20. I am having the same issue with another website, Takelessons.com, an online teaching website. I've been in contact with different google chrome experts and I haven't had anything work, much like the thread above states. I'll attach some links to my threads with them if you would like to try and see if those fixes work for you. Hopefully we'll get this resolved soon because it is SO FRUSTRATING. I'm starting to think it has something to do with Logitech cameras, as everyone I know that has had this issue is using one. <a href="https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium" rel="nofollow">https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium</a>... <a href="https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium" rel="nofollow">https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium</a>...

Edited 1509661738
I am running into the same problem with xSplit taking over as my camera for Roll20. None of the problem solving has fixed my issue either, just like with Marc. I will add that my camera seemed to work again after I removed my camera from my xSplit scenes, but it would still only work if xsplit was turned off. Really sucks because I really wanted to start streaming my Roll20 game. I really hope someone is working on this pls.

Edited 1509768241
I just ran into this problem as well. It all worked well a week ago, and I tested recording with Xsplit and roll20 and it worked just fine. Now roll20 keeps grabbing the xsplit video source and gives no option to switch, just as described by others in this thread. I am willing to help test solutions as well.
Grant H. said: &nbsp;I'm starting to think it has something to do with Logitech cameras, as everyone I know that has had this issue is using one. For me, it's my built-in webcam which I don't think is manufactured by Logitech. It's an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC.

Edited 1516209426
Hi, I have my own site that uses WebRTC and I've had this problem on my site. Both Mac and Windows using Chrome exhibit the issue. After Googling around for a solution I came across this thread so I thought I'd share what I discovered. I've since found what I think is causing the issues. As mentioned previously, other sites seem to work okay, such as appr.tc which obviously means there's something different with the site coding. Since my site is for low bandwidth conferencing, I restrict the camera fps and resolution using the mandatory Map in the constraints object passed to [webkit or moz]GetUserMedia() call. We recommend users use Chrome because FireFox disregards the constraints and just does what it wants to do which results in higher bandwidth usage. When I removed the constraints in the site code as a test, the problem went away. This leads me to believe that Chrome is actually trying to open the device you have selected in the settings and is rejecting it based on the constraints imposed and is thus opening whatever device it can find that matches the constraints. If this is the case, the webmaster(s) will need to fiddle with it.