Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Allow GM to grant Jukebox access to a player

Score + 165
First, thank you roll20 for all that you do and thank you to the community for all of the help you have provided. &nbsp;My friends and I joined recently and are having a lot of fun. We think that music would greatly enhance the game playing, but I am handling enough things as a new DM that I don’t want/need the distraction of managing music as well. One of my players is interested in running the music and I am happy to let him. We have been trying to use roll20 audiomaster API script with no luck so far. However, in our experiments we saw that when the player is co-GM he can manage the music from within the jukebox, playing it, stopping it, organizing it, even logging in and getting new tracks when I am not around. &nbsp;I trust him implicitly, but I don’t want to spoil the campaign for him by giving him access to GM only stuff in game. So can you create a new access that can be assigned by a GM to give full control of the jukebox to a player? This suggestion has come up before, but the three previous examples were older and lost in the shuffle among other ideas. The other links are here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3341737/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3341737/slug%7D</a> , one feature of many <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1245252/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1245252/slug%7D</a> , last comment before thread closed <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3478576/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3478576/slug%7D</a> , one feature of two, this tipped us off to soundfx and roll20 audiomaster but we haven’t had luck trying to manage with those, and we think (from our limited experience) it wouldn’t be too difficult to make a new type of player access profile. We are hoping that this post about JUST the Jukebox feature may garner more votes so the devs look at making this capability. Thanks for reading, please vote if you would like to see this.
This would be very welcome! I simply do not have time to manage the music while running the game, and one player really wants to do it for us all, as he himself already puts on thematic music for himself while playing.
Amazing idea, I've run into the same problem / issue recently and would love to see a GMs burden be lifted by a DJ-player instead. The Jukebox is great but the GMs tend to not want to deal with it due to the timesink it is for them, or so I believe it is for few at least. Sry for necroing but this is a good thread that should be seen by more people.
It's oftentimes difficult to divide my attention between running games and operating the Jukebox. I very much would like the ability to grant my players DJ privileges.
I would love to let one of my players take over the audio responsibilities. I feel like the game can flow easier if he can que up music while I am running combat and talking. I hope this beomes a possibility because it seems like such a good way to solve peoples problem and add depth to games.
Yes Please. Oftentimes if I play in a game, I feel frustrated that I can't take this burden off the GM's shoulders, as I love running audio in my own games.
I am the worst DJ ever. This would be a big bonus for me.
This would be a very welcomed feature by me as both GM and player!
I love that Roll20 allows me to associate (Play on Load) a song with a slide, that is the limit of music and effects in my game sadly. This is such as shame because there are great visual and sfx made available by Roll20 which I simply lack the time and/or knowledge to use in a timely and effective manner. If I could nominate one person for the session and even just give them access to only the SFX that would be something I would use each time I play.
I was JUST looking for a thread. It's heartening to see that other people feel the same way - as of now, it looks like this feature still hasn't been implemented? I would LOVE to DJ for our campaign and my DM has no interest in doing so (but knows I love to).
I also would like to see this feature.
I too would like to see a feature like this added.&nbsp;
+1
+1 This would be a great feature to be added.
As a player and GM this is a feature that would certainly take what could be a really immersive feature of the game that is a struggle to utilize, and allow the GM to focus on the game while the "bard" takes care of the ambience.&nbsp;
A dj/bard role for a player would be so cool and useful! +1 from me and thinking this will help speed up the game and invites players to help their game forward. I'm just loving this idea!
Please??
This has been asked about for YEARS. Please?
Yes it has been years....this would be a really great feature.&nbsp;&nbsp;
So, there is a little bit of a work around.&nbsp; You can have the party occupy two games at the same time.&nbsp; One of the games would be a dummy game exclusively for one of the players in the "real game" to DM as DJ for everyone else.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Good idea ! Problem is surely to manage the wrights about adding music, but allowing players to pick a music in the jukebox would be very nice.
I wholeheartedly second this!!!
Pretty please?
Please get this going, I was using Syrinscape, but for many reasons I am moving away from it. I had someone else run it though.
If you have a Pro account, you can install the Roll20 Audio Master script and give your players full access to the playlists and tracks, which you import from Jukebox with one click.
Yes, I thought player access to the jukebox would be a part of having a paid subscription. I would really like players with musician characters to key up music and DJ without them having to ask me. In addition it's hard for me to locate tunes in a list of songs I'm not familiar with.&nbsp;
why has this not been an added feature yet? I have been asking this for years
Please add this feature
Please consider adding this feature.
Please, Roll20?
I'll add to the long chain of requests - this would be a great feature for a lot of games. GMs are busy as is, and there are a lot of players who would love to take this on.
Bump. I want this too.
This would be very good for me now that I have players that are playing more interesting races and want to add animal noises as reactions without terrible throat destroying mimicry of animal Chortles, can get sound files but as DM I am usually busy and lag on the playing of said sounds even though I have the Queued up on the jukebox. Would be ideal if I could give sound files access to certain players, just like character sheets so they can play the sounds associated with them, and as DM I still have master control over the music/sound being played.
I would like it for all the above reasons plus my bard player could just start dropping his own chosen tune and we all know we get a bonus.
I would love to add some music/sounds to our campaign, but don't want to burden the DM because he already puts in the lion's share of work in pre-game prep!&nbsp; As a player, I would love to be able to DJ as we go!&nbsp; Please add a feature allowing the GM to assign player access to the Jukebox!!
How has this not been added yet?! This is an incredible idea.
Any progress on this? Such a great idea!
I would love this feature specifically for the purpose of allowing a bard character in one of my games play their own music at appropriate times during the campaign
The Roll20 Audio Master script is about as good as it's likely to get, unfortunately. The problem is that allowing other players complete access to upload and manage the audio tracks provides a workaround for the account storage limit. People would start creating dummy accounts just for music, bypassing the need to upgrade tiers.
I understand what you're getting at, but I (personally) dont need my players to do anything with the music other than select tracks and press play at the appropriate time.&nbsp; Its just about offloadig the music DJ task from the DM! ButterflyOcean said: The Roll20 Audio Master script is about as good as it's likely to get, unfortunately. The problem is that allowing other players complete access to upload and manage the audio tracks provides a workaround for the account storage limit. People would start creating dummy accounts just for music, bypassing the need to upgrade tiers.
This is a good idea, in my opinion; one of my players frequently reminds me that I need to turn on the ambient music, and after planning everything and laying down every token and such, I frequently forget to turn on the jukebox. Being able to give players the ability to play music themselves sounds like a wonderful idea!
Being able to give a player the responsibility for the audio would take a ton of work off the GM!
This is a great idea. Also give choice on which library is used, GM's or player's. We need it !
As GM, it would help a lot to have a trusted player deal with tracks, while we can focus on the myriad of other things requiring focus. Great idea!
This would be SUPER useful.&nbsp; DMs can't do everything all the time.
As a DM, I also think it would be incredibly useful to be able to "outsource" the work of selecting the right music for the mood of the session - spreading this "DJ-ing" responsibility across the group would help free up a DM (especially a new DM!) to focus on other things.
Gold
Forum Champion
Yes +1 let the Sound control FLOW to all who are in the Band
Necroing a 5 year old post. Would still love this feature and there are many threads online with many more people asking the exact same questions. It would be wonderful if you could add this function
Gold
Forum Champion
With the burst of new Votes granted by Roll20 to users... Necromancy is back in style Alex B. said: Necroing a 5 year old post.&nbsp;
Just here to add my vote to this suggestion.