Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

FX Engine - Reverse Particle Effects?

Hello!  Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm not sure where else to post it.  If so, please let me know and I'll repost it. Is there a way to have the fx engine particles move towards a target instead of fleeing it?  For example a BBEG drawing in magical forces to unleash his greatest weapon yet!  Magic Missile! Example fx script I shamelessly copied/tweaked from the library.  The particles exit this one, but don't go towards it. Thank you in advance, Channel_Energy_Positive { "angle": 90, "angleRandom": 360, "duration": 60, "emissionRate": 2, "endColour": [175, 130, 50, 0], "endColourRandom": [20, 20, 20, 0], "gravity": {"x":0.01, "y":0.01}, "lifeSpan": 9000, "lifeSpanRandom": 0, "maxParticles": 2000, "sharpness": 40, "sharpnessRandom": 10, "size": 10, "sizeRandom": 5, "speed": 1, "speedRandom": 5, "startColour": [175, 130, 25, 1], "startColourRandom": [20, 10, 0, 0.25] } /fx Channel_Energy_Positive @{selected|token_id}

Edited 1493952819
PaprikaCC
Pro
API Scripter
Due to the current setup of their fx system, we can't create effects where particles gather together in a single spot. You can work around this by creating multiple VFX instances around a token (that aim towards the center) and using a macro to activate them all at once.
Do you have an example of how to do that?  I'm thinking something like beams but referencing the offset is beyond me currentluy.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
PaprikaCC said: Due to the current setup of their fx system, we can't create effects where particles gather together in a single spot. You can work around this by creating multiple VFX instances around a token (that aim towards the center) and using a macro to activate them all at once. This is the nature of particle systems. Particles are created at an emitter, move some distance (possibly zero) in some direction, and die. If the Roll20 particle system allowed for modifying the particle's size over its lifetime, you could create an emitter which creates large particles that shrink instead of moving. With a translucent color, that could create an inward-moving ripple effect. If the Roll20 particle system allowed for arbitrary images to be used for the particles, that ripple effect could be made into something like beams zooming towards the center (eg, large particle with a random rotation that doesn't move and shrinks, using a png that's got a couple lines around the edge pointing towards the center). Unfortunately, the system we have doesn't allow for size-varying particles, and all particles are a circle of color. Thus, your only option for inward-moving particle effects is to have multiple emitters.
Ah that helps thank you! Then there is no chance of changing gravity as well.  (Move 5-10 feet out and then orbit before dying). Thank you for the excellent explination.