Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Video & Voice

Greetings. We have a game running with friends, where we use Teamspeak for voice chat, and our GM uses his webcam and broadcasts it through this website. A week or two ago something happened on roll20's end, and his webcam stopped working. Today we tried to resolve this issue, and tried everything written on the help pages and such. Then I noticed something by sheer luck. You see, all of your settings are as follows: "I want to broadcast to others: Nothing" and "I want to receive from others: Video only". I was messing around with these, then I selected "Voice only" for the first setting (broadcast one for myself), and all of a sudden, the video broadcast of our GM started working again. I told others to try and see if it works, and it worked for some of them as well. So I'm inclined to think this is a bug that started happening with some internal change, as for some reason when I select nothing to broadcast, I don't receive any broadcasts as well.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Thanks for pointing this out, Boris. I'll run some tests with the Dev team to see if we can replicate the same issue.
Kristin C. said: Thanks for pointing this out, Boris. I'll run some tests with the Dev team to see if we can replicate the same issue. To add further information, our GM's webcam was working fine on his side, and all of our problems got solved after changing our broadcast settings.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Boris, could you supply a console log when you switch your broadcast settings.
Gid
Roll20 Team
The dev team and I ran some tests on our end, and while we couldn't replicate your game's specific issue, we did see other connection issues with shifting around broadcast and receive settings. What is likely the cause of this is due to our WebRTC not cleaning after itself when you set a particular setting, so it's not completely kicking over when you change your settings which causes connection issues. We'll make a note of this when we tackle another pass of efficiency fixes for WebRTC.
Kristin C. said: The dev team and I ran some tests on our end, and while we couldn't replicate your game's specific issue, we did see other connection issues with shifting around broadcast and receive settings. What is likely the cause of this is due to our WebRTC not cleaning after itself when you set a particular setting, so it's not completely kicking over when you change your settings which causes connection issues. We'll make a note of this when we tackle another pass of efficiency fixes for WebRTC. Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't around. If the problem happens again, I'll get any kind of logs that I can, but it seems everything is running fine at the moment.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Boris V. said: Kristin C. said: The dev team and I ran some tests on our end, and while we couldn't replicate your game's specific issue, we did see other connection issues with shifting around broadcast and receive settings. What is likely the cause of this is due to our WebRTC not cleaning after itself when you set a particular setting, so it's not completely kicking over when you change your settings which causes connection issues. We'll make a note of this when we tackle another pass of efficiency fixes for WebRTC. Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't around. If the problem happens again, I'll get any kind of logs that I can, but it seems everything is running fine at the moment. That's great to hear! Just give us another reply with fresh logs if you encounter this issue again. Thank you, Boris.