Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question for anyone about artwork

PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hey, I am working on a module for 30 levels, and I am trying to make a decision, I don't want to go into great details due to roll20 guidelines. However, I am trying to decide if I should keep all black and white tokens, or should I use color tokens. I need your help to decide. Here are examples. They haven't been put into token tiles boarders yet.
Gold
Forum Champion
I think the black and white style looks good for Handouts, such as a portrait of an NPC or showing what a monster looks like. I'd have to say Tokens that are actually on a map would look better in color. You want them to pop off the map or background and stand out, from any zoom level. Your 30-level module sounds like an awesome undertaking and a generous full campaign. Best wishes on bringing it to fruition which I know you will achieve!
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks I will be working on it for a while, plugging things into the roll20 platform is one of the longest steps aside from actually making the portraits. So it a massive undertaking.
Gold
Forum Champion
I highly recommend Token-Mod API script (a Pro level feature), for shortcutting the steps of plugging many things into the Roll20 platform, particularly in the area of configuring all tokens to have consistent bars, auras, sight, size, and so on. The monster-page is a nice feature that's found in modules like Volo's and Storm King's Thunder, and Lands Of Belfum in the Marketplace -- if it's not coming across clearly what I'm talking about just ask me or PM. Of course there would still be a lot of other areas (like Handouts) that are not touched by this script. With all that work ahead, good luck and forge on!
Justin H.
Marketplace Creator
This Token-Mod script: can it be used for what is needed then removed without affecting the content? Since API is not allowed in Marketplace releases it would have to be. 
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Definitely.  It would just help you with standardizing your tokens. I have two commands I commonly use: Link Monster: This just sets the token to represent an already created monster. !token-mod {{ --set represents|?{Monster Name} }} Setup Monster: This sets the token up the way I like it in my game, and saves it as the default token for the character it represents.  (I have a different one for Player characters) !token-mod {{   --on showname light_hassight    --off isdrawing    --set     name|"@{selected|character_name}"     bar1_link|AC bar2_link|Speed     bar3_value|@{selected|HP}     bar3_max|@{selected|HP|max}     light_radius|?{Light|60}      light_dimradius|=?{Dim at|-5}      defaulttoken  ?{Player Visible?|No,--off|Yes --on} light_otherplayers }} After running both of those, I've got the token basically setup the way I want it and stored on the sheet.  I can now drag it out as often as I like.  Details might change based on what character sheet you're targeting or how you want to set some things.   If you want to have your monsters numbered, you can add %%NUMBERED%% to the end of the name and install TokenNameNumber.  Then dragging into a map will give you "Orc 1", "Orc 2", etc.  At the end of module creation, you can go to the monsters page and strip the %%NUMBERED%% off each of them and resave them (actually, I could write you a script for that... just ask if you're interested.). When you're done and ready to package the module, just trash the macros.  Scripts don't go along with the module so no need to delete them.

Edited 1494332442
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Sure thing, it is a tool... nothing more. Install it to your template game, use it to quickly set tokens etc up and then remove it from the API before release. Purchasers of the module won't be reliant on it as long as no pre-set macros etc use tokenMod in them. edit: or just read the much more detailed post above... (note to self, refresh BEFORE posting!)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!