Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lightning Range Problems

Concrete Issue. If you set up a token to emit light, there are 2 variables.  First is the Range in which Light is emitted. Second is the Range after which Light gets dimmed. In the Past we used a range of 5ft. per Unit. Since my whole Group is european we decided to switch everything to meters. So i changed the map setting to 1.5m per Unit. After this Change, i had to change all ranges from Lightsources. And i realised that the range for emitting light doesnt work in the correct way. I set a token up for some spell-animation lightning storm to emit in 5m and start dimming at 3. Bright Light is spread correctly to 3m around the tokencentre, but dimmed light doesnt stop at 5m. It actually goes up to 9m. This is a pretty heavy problem for me since it seems that i cant minimize the light Radius under a certain value. The Problems seems to be connected to the Size of the Token, usually my spell-effects are around 3x3 or 4x4 units, but even with the character token which are only 1unit, the problems keep appearing. I'd be gladful for any hints or help. Thanks in advance and please excuse my bad english and grammar for im no native speaker. Paro
Gid
Roll20 Team
As I dug into this, I've found the issue isn't due to the scale you choose on the page. This problem appears no matter what scale you're using. Bright light displays father than what you set it as. If you have no dim light, you can see this on the Tabletop yourself if you set your GM Opacity high enough to see it (easier to see on a blank page too). With just a bright light setting on a token, there is some light fall off past the bright light radius. Since it's the same intensity of the dim light, when you input a number for the dim setting, the dimmed light will merge straight into this fall off and make it look like it extends out farther than it should. What probably should be done here is that this bright light falloff should be overwritten if you enter a value for the dim light on a token. I'll put together a ticket for this and talk to devs about what needs to be done in regards to get this to read correctly. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, A.L.
Im glad i could help with identifying such a problem. Hopefully there wont be any problems for your fixing it.