Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

First Time DnD and DM Advice on campaigns

Hey all im New Here on Roll20 starting a campaign with a friend i started the first chapter had fun. Using dnd 5e, i started a campaign where i just go with what ever comes to mind. what kind of advice would help to keep the campaign going, even just  simple tips and tricks would be awesome ty!
I'd suggest having a few pregenerated micro-scenarios (like 5 pages worth of notes or so) just in case you're drawing a blank one day.  Keep them generic enough to where you can throw them in at almost any time.
Awesome I think i might do that Thank you for the Tip!
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Seth K. said: Awesome I think i might do that Thank you for the Tip! Having a store of 'background' information within the setting, just so that you can maybe wing something when needed. Also create or buy a number of prebuilt dungeons and things so that if the party suddenly want to head somewhere or do something, all you have to do is find monsters/traps.
Personally i love my "starter" setup i put in all of my games because i try to be as learner friendly as possible which involves me adding macros to token and general macro bar buttons that allow you to roll every type of dice a numeric number of times. Very simple, very learner friendly and veteran friendly.
These Tips are Really going to help Im gonna use them all Great advice this community is so Helpful! Thanks guys
I've been watching alot of matthew colvilles videos and they have helped me alot
OP, if you need any macros made to make your time easier here or some quick links please feel free to ask. I have a game with everything set up if you want to preview anything that i've already done in one of my campaigns if you want to look around.
Sure man sent me a link! Thanks
Pay attention to the player's guesses to possible situations, can use them elsewhere down the road. They can help build the world as much as you.
So your saying Use how your Characters play to shape Encounters to Give each player a chance to Shine?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I tend to use a generic character sheet abilities (not the actual sheet) to setup static scene descriptions for dungeons. It is similar to all those boxed text descriptions you find in modules. I use a transparent token with an aura that is viewable to the gm only then link the token to the sheet. Right now I have one dungeon with 18 rooms keyed up to where if I select my dungeon token, all the room buttons show up as token buttons. Makes a nice one click and room description shows up in the chat. I'm going to be experimenting with the default roll template to give the text a different color from my player's text ( I run text games).
Seth K. said: So your saying Use how your Characters play to shape Encounters to Give each player a chance to Shine? That's part of it, but you can use their fears or expectations against them, best when they least expect it for best effect. Also, put a twist on it so it isn't exactly like what they were thinking/fearing. Some laid out simply: You create a dungeon with Monster "A" but they don't know it yet. As they are trying to figure it out, they think it might be monster "B" or "C".  You then take those thoughts and create new dungeon with "B" or "C". Or time permitting, even twist the original to have some faction of "B" or "C" if it can indeed fit.   Or, can ask them if they know what is beyond the mountain range, or old wives tales or stories to scare them when they were children. Make those reality but with a twist. And that's just scratching the surface. Good luck and have fun with it! 
Thanks everyone! If anyone wants to take a look at what i have so far let me know ill be glad to invite you to my campaign and you can Give me feedback on what you like and what you dont it would be a very big help!