Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dice Font Color

Hello, I've just started using roll20 after checking out a few others (maptool, etc) within the last week or so. For the most part I love roll20 because it supports a grid and card decks at the same time. I absolutely love the feature of the 3D dice! However, this is where my bug comes in... Bug The black font can not be seen on dark colored dice. Steps to reproduce - Turn 3D dice feature on. - Change player's color to be a dark color. - Roll some dice. Result The black dice font can not be read on dark colored dice. Workaround - Make the player's color a lighter color. Notes I know this is a known bug and there is a workaround, but I wanted to give this more attention and see if it could be bumped a little on the priority list. The workaround limits available colors to about half. This means all the dark colors effectively lose value and become unusable with this feature. We need the ability to either choose our dice font color, or to be able to select between black and white. - Matthew
I brought this up years ago. As you can see, ain't shit been done.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The latest Dev Chat hinted that some major rework or enhancement of the 3D dice system is under current develpoment.

Edited 1495137905
Gid
Roll20 Team
The problem with the 3D dice's textures at present is that what we're using as a diffuse texture map is just a white image with a face number on it in black. Before a die is rendered when you roll, the diffuse texture is given a tint by pulling the color hex you're using with your avatar. That's all it does, so unfortunately, dark colors don't work so well with the black numerals. Something that I would like to address as a personal pet project is a complete overhaul of the 3D Dice. As they're handled right now with how they're textured and how we figure out which face is Z-up, is just not feasible for dice skinning. What needs to happen is to develop a new way to find the Z-up face so we can have a complete UV unwrap. That way the entire die's material can be handled with texture maps that cover the entire die in a single image (right now we have separate diffuse texture maps for each face).
You need to use two diffuse texture maps. One for dark numbers, one for light numbers, and decide which one to use based on player color using a simple function such as what I use in powercards.