Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Possible? Local group with Roll20 dm

I have a friend who has offered to take over as dm for my local d&d5e crew. He lives too far away to join us in person. Is it possible to use roll 20 as our virtual tabletop?  specifically, Can i use roll20 to control 4 different characters(our local crew)  any suggestions on ways to make this as smooth as possible? are there any possible issues that could arise from doing it this way? Any general thoughts or ideas for our crews specific problem?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
This is completely possible. &nbsp;I run all my in person games on Roll20, which makes transitioning to online very easy (my in person group meets once a year, but otherwise is spread from coast to coast). &nbsp;Also great if one player can't physically make it. Having a remote GM works just fine. &nbsp;There are 2 ways that could break down (to my mind): • All local players have their own laptop/computer • All local players share a single computer The first case is really just normal usage with a large subset of players physically near each other; the second is probably what you'll be experiencing. The easiest way to handle this would be to have an account for the party, and join the game on the shared computer with that account. &nbsp;The Party player would need to be given access to all the player characters, and then you'd just hotseat the controls as needed to control the character that acting. The biggest drawback to this approach is just the contention of needing to access a character when it's not your turn, or doing things with different characters at the same time. &nbsp;That's just something you'd have to handle locally, like only having one set of dice, or one set of rule books, but a little worse because of it being the character sheets. &nbsp;The other issue that might arise, based on your party's play style is the "secret note" problem, the GM needing to communicate information to just one player. &nbsp;That's a problem you have to handle in local play as well, but you might need an out-of-band communication method to facilitate it. Here''s a wiki page devoted to in-person play that might give you some good tips:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Using_Roll20_while_Playing" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Using_Roll20_while_Playing</a>... Happy Rolling!
Wow Aaron, thank you so much for your help. I appreciate you taking the time to give a detailed response and i will be taking everything youve said into account for session 0. Thanks again!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
No problem! &nbsp;Happy Rolling!
Short answer: Yes, very possible and I would absolutely recommend it.