Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Targeting a position

Edited 1495122420
Time and time again, especially when it comes to area of effects, I've found myself wishing for a way to target a position on the map, rather than a token. Aside from me, though, it seems to be something many others wish to see, so I suggest this: -Currently, we can use @target to prompt someone for a target. -Alongside this, a @position or @grid could be added to push a prompt for a location on the map instead. -This would return a set of coordinates, or a grid square ID, to help define the source of a specific effect. This could greatly help the scripting community, but it could also help implement further features for basic users (marking a position, changing the color of specific squares, etc). I could not say how easily it could be implemented by the team (since I have no idea how their internal code looks like), though I'd wish to think it's not all that much complicated? I've meddled with the API scripts for a while, and it simply work wonders whenever I have to use them. They're quick, reliable and fairly unrestricted (if you know how to get around the limitations), though this happens to be the only wall I've hit during all that coding time. Thank you for your time, and further suggestions are welcome. If it ends up implemented, I'd simply be in heaven.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The way I deal with that in my scripts: I created a character with 0 max PV, controlled by all players. The token is a nice target. Anytime a player wants to target a specific location, he can drag the special character to the map and target it. In my scripts, I recognize such targets and delete them whenever they are used, so they just stay until used as a target.
Too bad there isn't a script that would do a query that would change that token image to be an AoE spell effect.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Demonpookie said: Too bad there isn't a script that would do a query that would change that token image to be an AoE spell effect. I use a rollable table of images as a token that includes the various AoE templates.  Cycle thru the images as needed, resize to cover the appropriate AoE and "Bob's your uncle".
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Stephen has this as well  [Script] AOE Drawer (Beta)
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .