Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

There should be some sort of "Removed from game" notification.

Recently, I have been trying to join a few different games of Dungeons and Dragons, only to find, when I actually go to play, that the DM has (deliberately or accidentally) removed me from the player roster without sending an explanation. The only way I know of this is I log in and that game no longer comes up on my list. It is simply gone, and if I don't have any serious back-and-fourth with that DM to find their name outside of the game itself, it can be a real ordeal to find out why I was dropped. It is like showing up to game and finding the entire game gone. Really frustrating, especially when you get up in the morning for it. All I am suggesting is that when a player is removed from the player list of a game, there should be a notification message placed in their inbox that amounts to "(Player Name), the DM, (DM Name) has removed you from the player list of their game (Game Name)". That way, if the player feels that they were wronged in being removed from the game, or that the removal was unintended, they can take it up directly with the DM to get the removal resolved, or clarified.
I agree with your reasoning, but I personally would not like my player's receiving this notification. I frequently will make a copy of my game so that I can test API scripts. When I copy the games I bring everything over, including player (the macros only get copied with player information so if I want any global macros I need the player information). I then remove the players from the copy so that they do not see they copy. If there were a notification that player's are removed from a game. My player's would receive a lot of notifications from me removing them from a copied game.
The simple solution for that would be to allow the DM to disable to notification on a case by case basis. A simple prompt offering the DM the capacity to disable the notification, or even control what it has to say (such as offering an explanation for being removed) would be preferable to the current zero notice system. At this point, even a prompt asking the DM if they want to send the player being removed a message indicating a reason for the removal would be better.
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
It doesn't sound like something that would work. If they purposely remove you from the game and don't say a thing, chances are if they get the possibility to send a notification only if they want, they won't do it. Why would anyone randomly remove people from their games without a word.. no clue.
This seems more like a common decency problem than one of notifications. I´ve my self been removed with no message from games and have been unable to get a hold of the GM. This is however a social problem in my opinion. A lot of people are afraid or reluctant to confront others and if the GM cancels the game last minute or simple decides that someone in particular is no longer welcome then they will more often than not just do this. It´s a bit of a poor move, but I see little benefit in being sent a message about it. Rather instead just let your GMs know you´d prefer to know if you´re not picked, or removed from a game of theirs and hope they can muster the courtesy to tell you so.  
At the very least, the player removal option should come with a checkbox for informing the player that they have been removed. I hate the idea of jumping on roll20 expecting to be starting a new game, only to find that the game I was intending to join is no longer available, and I can't even check in with the DM to make sure it was not done on accident.
You would be surprised how many players applying to games go radio silent after getting an invite. Or send an elaborate application and turn antisocial the moment they join. I have run many games in which I have left a window of a week or two for the players to get to know one another, plan characters together, give input about the game, and have gotten stuck with a person that doesn't login or accept the invite until the day of the game or just refuses to contribute to forum discussion. I don't particularly want to get into some kind of debate about my reasoning for kicking someone who's already wasted my time. And if they kick or cancel you for no rhythm or reason, they did you a favor by showing you someone who's company you probably would not have enjoyed anyway.
Players tend to go antisocial because, by and large, the type of people who seek out D&D games on roll20 are the type that lack the social capacity and friends to have a game in real life. Nerds don't always have an easy time getting to know other players. Most DMs have to hold their hands to get them to interact with individuals they don't know. Prior to a game, you can NEVER expect anyone to put time in beyond dedicated and scheduled character creation time. It is very much noteworthy that a lot of players only bother to pull roll20 up on the day of the game. This is because there is NOTHING ELSE TO DO ON THIS SITE. If you are expecting your players to be social and interact outside the game before the game begins, you need to make it perfectly clear and arrange times for them to do so. Build time, outside of the time dedicated to the game into the schedule from the get go. These people will be online when they know they are supposed to be. If you are not interested in talking to a player that you kicked out because they did not talk to you or other players before your game was set to start, because they "Wasted your time" maybe you should not be wasting theirs. All I am asking for is for a player that was expecting a game and gets kicked before it starts to get a note that will allow them to talk to the DM about it. If a DM does not want to explain themselves, that is just them being a jerk, because if you are kicking someone from a game, you should have a solid reason for it. If your expectations were made clear, and they did not live up to them, they will understand. If you failed the make your expectations clear, they should have the right to talk to you about it.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .