Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Feedback on recent use of Chromebook

I'm considering getting a Chromebook for those games while I'm on business travel. Most of the posts on this topic are from prior to Roll 20 fielding with the video chat features built in. Which I need for our group. So, do you use a Chromebook with the video/audio features of Roll 20 in games? I'm interested to know if it can handle the load? If yes, what Chromebook do you use?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have an HP Chromebook 14-ak020nr 14-Inch (Intel Celeron, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB SSD) I would not recommend it for actual play. It is fine for casual updating of resources, maps and tokens, but it freezes quite often. It's good for sitting on the couch and working on your campaign, but would be frustrating in play. I have not tried it with the webcam for roll20, but my experience with Skype shows that it is not as good as a more robust computer. This is a fairly low end Chromebook however. More RAM would certainly help.
I have a Toshiba CB35-B3340 13.3 Inch Chromebook (Intel Celeron, 4GB, 16GB SSD, Silver) Full HD-Screen. I originally got it so I could play Roll20 from the road as well. I use it for everything Roll20-related. I configure, play, chat, video, and run my games from it. When running a game, I keep an older laptop beside it to pull up game docs, maps, notes, etc. I hope that helps!
Chromebooks work ok for just general play, but when you start adding dynamic lighting in... they get sketchy unless they're a beefy machine.
Anyone else with info?