Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Setting up a game and character sheets

Moved from main forum ( I thought I'd posted it here :-) ) - Sorry for the noob question; What's the etiquette for setting up a game once you have interested players? Say I'm DMing and looking for 4 players. I put out a request and get 4 suitable applicants. Do they pre-roll a character and send the details for me to set up their character sheet and assign the sheet once they join? Or just wait for them to join assign sheet and let them fill it in?
I personally prefer for my players to roll their attributes in the game chat, rather than offline.  Just makes it easier, no questioning whether that character should really have an 18 Dex.  I also usually have a macro already set up for them to do so, so they can just hit a button and roll the attributes automatically. However, some games use a point buy system, and in that case, I just give them a character sheet and let them go to town.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This is actually a specific use forum question. Every GM has their own style or method for players to create characters in their game. Some have macros setup to roll dice in a specific order and a set amount of dice, a dice pool, just a set number of dice rolled a certain numbers of time, etc... You can either have them precreate their characters and use the  character vault (have to be a plus or pro subscriber to import characters and certain aspects to export) to get their characters into your game or you can have them enter your game so you can assign them a  character sheet . Remember to keep all questions focused on the use of roll20 otherwise it will get marked off-topic.