Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Revealing fog of war in steps

Hi I am just migrating our face-to-face campaign of Princes of the Apocalypse to roll20 and I am trying to get in to all different aspects of this great tool. So, as for the fog of war feature... Is there any way to like prep this beforehand? I understand that the freehand tool is rather fast and it will work fine with that, however, I would love to be able to spend fifteen minutes before a session to prepare the maps and designate "segments" of fog of war that I then easily could reveal by just the click of a button.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It is not possible at this time to do that with the FoW. You could try testing an idea out that I read about a while ago. Get black tiles and lay it down over your map and tokens (right click and choose to front). This would then let you just to right click on the tile and delete it as needed. Not sure if it would work better or worse than the Fog of War.
Gold
Forum Champion
Another idea is, you could go on the GM Layer and draw a color box outlining the sections that you plan to reveal. Since it's on the GM Layer, no one else will see the guidelines. When it's time to reveal the next area you would just use the Fog Of War rectangle reveal tool and follow your GM-Layer guide lines.

Edited 1495421833
What I really wish is for some way to combine dynamic lighting with fog of war.  So that once the PCs see an area (as determined by dynamic lighting), it removes fog of war and remains visible (to all).  I'm guessing there's no way to do that.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Juliean G. said: What I really wish is for some way to combine dynamic lighting with fog of war.  So that once the PCs see an area (as determined by dynamic lighting), it removes fog of war and remains visible (to all).  I'm guessing there's no way to do that. The Dev Team talked about that popular Suggestion in their March Roundtable.
Thanks!
Thanks for the info guys. I'll work with the freehand tool I think. For now at least. 😊
Use the drawing tools to create your fog of war instead of using the actual fog of war. Then when you're ready, just select and delete them or move them to the gm layer.