Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Testing API scripts without pro status?

So I was thinking of possibly dabbling in some API scripts, ideally to do all sorts of things to make a game (of D&D 5e) easier to run, but I don't know how it'll turn out because if I try to get started I'll have to actually learn quite a few things and it might not work out ultimately. Considering that, I don't really want to commit to paying $10/month just to see how things work, so is there some way to be able to test API scripts without paying? If there is some sort of method already that's obvious to others, then it's not obvious to me. If there isn't a way to do that, then what if I use a friend's account that does have pro status already? The intent seems mostly harmless to me, but I don't want to do that and suddenly find out it's highly frowned upon to do anything like that and then end up with both of us in trouble just because I'm not clear on the rules. Note that I'm not trying to complain about API access being behind a paywall, I just don't want to pay for a subscription and then get super bitter because I felt like I wasted $10. I saw this other post (quoted below) on how to get started, so if I do get started I would probably just follow the advice there, although if somebody else has additional advice on how to get started that would also be welcome. The Aaron said: In a recent post, this was my advice to getting started: The Aaron said: It really doesn't matter what you choose to do first, it's all about learning. The API runs on top of Node.js, so if you're looking for more in the way of tutorials, reading about the way Node modules work is probably helpful (the whole "event driven" thing). However, I don't think you need to go overboard there. Javascript isn't as complicated as it seems and 3 hours is long enough to learn the basics of the language, enough to write some API Scripts. I would start by writing the following: • A script that parrots back whatever you pass it: This will give you the chance to learn about API commands and the chat:message event, which is probably the most used event. !say polly want a cracker? polly want a cracker? Then play with the formatting a bit. Make it whisper it to the person that ran the command. Add some header text like "The parrot says" to it. • A script that whispers to the GM how far a token moved. This will give you a chance to learn about change:graphic events, probably the other most used event. Start with just the x,y pixel distance, then add the name of the token, convert to the units of the current page, add the name of the character it represents, if any. If you want to get REALLY fancy, read the lastmove and calculate the actual distance based on the path. • A script that tells you if your roll is higher, lower or the same as your last roll This will give you the chance to get into persisting data and understanding the inlinerolls syntax, which is a bit complicated. !roll [[1d20]] 18 (no prior rolls) 7 (lower) 9 (higher) 9 (same) 20 (higher) Once you've run through those, you'll probably have a pretty good feeling for the parts of the API.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Joe S. said: If there isn't a way to do that, then what if I use a friend's account that does have pro status already? The intent seems mostly harmless to me, but I don't want to do that and suddenly find out it's highly frowned upon to do anything like that and then end up with both of us in trouble just because I'm not clear on the rules. This is a completely reasonable way to go about it, and something that has been done many times.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Something else to consider: Roll20 Con is coming up which will temporarily open dynamic lighting (a major feature of the Plus subscription) for everyone. If you try out DL, get hooked, and pay for a Plus subscription, then paying for a month of Pro is only a $5 risk, instead of $10. ~_^

Edited 1495572601
Silvyre
Forum Champion
You could ask a Pro friend to promote you to GM in a Game that they create. You'll then have access to the API Console (but will still need their help, for example, to clear the Chat Archive). Rest assured; developing API Scripts within a Pro friend's Game does not violate the ToS or its spirit. Very recently, the Devs stated their interest in "creating a feature-complete sandbox for development" to support community creators. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you could volunteer to co-GM a Pro friend's Game, and use that Game to develop scripts on the side. All said, I still think the best option is trialing Pro.
The Aaron said: Joe S. said: If there isn't a way to do that, then what if I use a friend's account that does have pro status already? The intent seems mostly harmless to me, but I don't want to do that and suddenly find out it's highly frowned upon to do anything like that and then end up with both of us in trouble just because I'm not clear on the rules. This is a completely reasonable way to go about it, and something that has been done many times. Cool, that's good to know, thanks. Unfortunately, it turns out I just talked to my friend earlier and apparently his pro status ran out earlier because "he hardly used it" and I'm not sure who else to ask so...kind of awkward now heh. Brian said: Something else to consider: Roll20 Con is coming up which will temporarily open dynamic lighting (a major feature of the Plus subscription) for everyone. If you try out DL, get hooked, and pay for a Plus subscription, then paying for a month of Pro is only a $5 risk, instead of $10. ~_^ I'll make a note of that, thanks; that might actually be good to know coming up. Silvyre said: You could ask a Pro friend to promote you to GM in a Game that they create. You'll then have access to the API Console (but will still need their help, for example, to clear the Chat Archive). Rest assured; developing API Scripts within a Pro friend's Game does not violate the ToS or its spirit. Very recently, the Devs stated their interest in "creating a feature-complete sandbox for development" to support community creators. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you could volunteer to co-GM a Pro friend's Game, and use that Game to develop scripts on the side. All said, I still think the best option is trialing Pro. I was thinking of having a pro friend make a game for me to mess around with, but I wasn't sure if that was against the rules or what and anyways that seems to not be an option for me after all, so...dang. As far as trying out pro myself, I know myself well enough that if I pay $10 just to try things out only to have it not really get anywhere then I would get extremely annoyed and most likely never consider paying for it ever again; unless you mean signing up for a free trial but as far as I can tell that's not available. I guess I'll probably just have to hope that sandbox comes out reasonably soon.  I was actually going to ask if something like that already exists, which would definitely work the best for me, but I guess it's still in development so...dang again; thanks for letting me know though.