Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[B/X D&D] Open table sandbox with classic modules

Howdy dicepokes, I've been running face-to-face open table games for awhile, and for the past several months have been running a 'closed open table' online with friends, to get used to how Roll20 works. It's gone well and now I'm ready to open up the game to interested parties. The first open game is this Saturday, 27th of May, 8pm-12am London time. Take a look at the gist below and the LFP page for more details: app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/78383/ You can read about some of the 'closed' group's previous sessions on this thread on Dragonsfoot: The Setting & Environs of the D&D Wilderness (BX/BECMI) Let me know if you're interested! The Gist Game Style: It's a sandbox setting that focuses heavily on hexcrawling and dungeon crawling. Hirelings are there to be hired; dungeons don't care if you're too low-level to survive; so plan your expeditions and choose your battles wisely. Smart playing beats brave playing every time. If your character dies, take on one of the hirelings or roll up a new character if there aren't any left, then jump back in. Open table: This game is an open table, meaning that every Saturday from 8pm-12am London time I'm logged onto Roll20, and whoever else shows up gets to play that session. I do my best to remind the group to make it back to town by the end of the session, to avoid cliffhangers that force everyone to come back next week. Basic D&D: We're playing Basic D&D (or Classic D&D, or B/X, or whatever you like to call it). If you haven't played before, is a whole lot of fun. No understanding of the rules is needed; in fact, having run Basic for dozens of players, I can't think of a single one who's ever had to look inside a rulebook. Everything you need to know can be learned just from playing. (For those who care about the nitpicky details, I'm mostly running from BECMI, but use B/X and even Holmes Basic for a few things. There are house rules, but not too many; this started as a way to teach people how to play Basic D&D). I can usually convince people to give it a shot at least once with a pitch like this: "Come take a crack at old-school, retro D&D like the cool kids in E.T. and Stranger Things played! You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll probably die!" Setting: The Grand Duchy of Karameikos, as it is very loosely described in the B/X rulebook (I'm not using any of the later Mystara stuff). Lots of swords and sorcery, lots of high fantasy, a bit of whimsy and the rare appearance of lost future technology. I've littered the hexmap with as many classic modules from the 70s and 80s as I could manage, so there's plenty to do. I run this setting for all of my B/X open tables, and so far players have explored bits and pieces of more than a dozen of the most iconic old school dungeon modules. Players definitely have definitely had a lasting effect on the game world for other players. Schedule: Saturdays, 8pm-12am London time. If the schedule changes for any given week I'll give warning.
Hey, Starbeard, it's Dave from US (dmw71).   Just checking in.  Good luck with the game!
Hi Dave! Thanks for checking in. It looks like we'll have a few new players tonight, looking forward to it.