Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Darkness in Phandelver

It's annoying that the Light settings are not set correctly in the Phandelver module. The Cragmaw hideout has no light source for the outdoors, the Redbrand hideout should either have light sources or global illumination turned on, etc. And none of the tokens are marked as "Has sight."
Only tokens that players are going to control need to have Has Sight marked.
Sorry, I meant to say "None of the PC tokens are marked as 'Has sight.'"

Edited 1495820394
And while I'm at it, every token on the "Thundertree Ruins" and "Wave Echo Cave" pages is double the size it should be. Changing the Grid size to 0.5 units fixes the problem for new tokens dragged to the map.
I think it's perfectly fair that the module is set up without the outdoor lights, because they will depend on when your own PC group stumbles onto those locations (daytime? nighttime? twilight?). Since the campaign does not specify that "you arrive at midday," for example, it makes sense to not hardwire the light settings for the out of door areas. Even for the modules, there will be a few things that need tuned for your own use situation -- and it's a simple matter to do a copy/paste to add a couple extra lights onto the map. My group arrived at the Cragmaw Hideout in the dead of night and required torches outside. The Roll20 folks have done a fabulous job porting the modules into this environment (Mines was not designed by Wizards of the Coast with Roll20 in mind). It's an insanely complex process, involving a ton of small configuration choices. The more I see of the modules, the more impressed I've become.
Gid
Roll20 Team
There's definitely issues with the Lost Mine of Phandelver conversion. That was the first WotC product we ever converted. What to include, what to feature and how to present the content took a lot of playing around. That module was a learning experience and we've adapted feedback from module purchasers of how to approach future content to make them even better. That being said, it needs a patch to handle some of the issues you described (like the 10' maps treated as 5'-ers). We're getting more hands on deck in that department to actually address them finally. I've been meaning to do them for a while, but I have been so busy with other tasks here that I've never been able to properly address them. Plate's been so full, but it's getting a lot better with the incoming new hires.
If it helps, I've actually already done the work on my campaign to fix the token size and light issues. If it's possible, feel free to steal what I've done.
I see you've released a patch that fixes these issues. However, since I fixed some of them myself, the patch didn't take fully. Is there a way to reset a map to default?

Edited 1502485785
The 1.2 Patch doesn't do what it says it does. All tokens are still marked as "Has Sight" (which I think they should be; why wouldn't they? But the Patch Notes 1.2 say that it 'Removed "Has Sight" from tokens') and some are apparently carrying torches (they Emit light, and all players see it). Furthermore, it seems that the radii of "Emits Light" is different between the tokens on the landing page, and the tokens that get dragged onto the map from the character entries. Also, in Thundertree, the description says, "The corpses of two giant spiders are sprawled near the edge of the pathway." But they're not, on the map. They're some twenty or thirty feet away from the edge of the pathway. A minor quibble, but a valid one, I think. In addition, there are some unofficial  Errata that need to be corrected in the adventure. Page 20, under 1. Cellar: The read-aloud text fails to mention the other (visible) door in the room. This door leads to Area 2. Add the following to the end of the read-aloud text: A door flanks the cistern on the northwestern side.  Page 30, under 2. Blighted Cottages: The “Awarding Experience” section should note that it’s 150 XP, not 50 XP.
I think you would have a better chance of the devs seeing this if you posted the above in the the  Bugs post