Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question: Rolling from a monsters character sheet

What is the extra 0 that shows up for attack and damage rolls whenever you use the monster character sheet from the compendium? EX: I click "Bite" for giant rat and it will roll me a "21 | 8". Hovering over the text it shows that I rolled a "1d20 + (4+0) = (17) + (4+0)" . What are the 0's referencing? Why are they there?  What is the character sheet (5th edition (OGL by role 20)) doing that it computes the dice roll this way?
I'm not 100% sure but its probably 1d20([Stat mod]+[Misc mod]) and its just the way it lays out the calculation.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
As James mentions, these are normally just placeholders.  You can include explanation/labels in macros (it may have to be added by sheet authors if the macro is coming from a sheet) by using singles brackets next to the inline roll.   [[ 1d20 + [[ (@{Stat_mod} ]][stat] + [[ @{Misc_mod}) ]][misc] ]] which might look like  "1d20 + (4[stat]+0[misc]) = (17) + (4+0)" when rolled.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
The OGL sheet uses those +0's to prevent rolls from requiring certain fields on the sheet to be filled out. If those +0's were not there some, some rolls would throw errors or fail if a user did not fill out certain fields on the sheet. For example, an NPC's damage roll typically looks like [[@{attack_damage}+0]]. If the attack_damage field on the sheet is not filled out, then that roll becomes [[+0]], which resolves. If this +0 was not there, then the roll would become [[]], which will throw an error and cause the entire damage macro to fail.

Edited 1495817874
Thank you for looking at this and responding everyone, and thank you silvyre  for the in depth explanation. I've been working with macros recently, and it's been bugging me ever since I really first noticed it.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Silvyre said: The OGL sheet uses those +0's to prevent rolls from requiring certain fields on the sheet to be filled out. If those +0's were not there some, some rolls would throw errors or fail if a user did not fill out certain fields on the sheet. For example, an NPC's damage roll typically looks like [[@{attack_damage}+0]]. If the attack_damage field on the sheet is not filled out, then that roll becomes [[+0]], which resolves. If this +0 was not there, then the roll would become [[]], which will throw an error and cause the entire damage macro to fail. Good to know.  Thanks Silvyre