Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New DM to be needs help with Fog of War

Hi, so I'm getting ready to run a game on Roll20 for the first time. I'm playing around with Fog of War so I'll know how to do it when the game starts. I'm running the Master's Vault if that helps. So I revealed the area outside the larder door door which is essentially a 2x2 square. Then I did rejoin as player to see how it would appear to the players. I took a character token and put it on the map in the revealed area. I thought that as I moved the character around, areas would automatically be revealed, since that's what seemed to happen when I played as a player in another group. Is there a setting I'm missing?  
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
That is the  Dynamic lighting feature , and is a feature of a plus level or higher subscription.
OK, knew it had to be something. I'll have to consider that. Thanks for the info.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep, note though, that DL does not keep explored areas revealed. It is only ever showing what tokens could see at that exact moment. Fog of war is better if you want to have previously explored areas visible.
Yes, that's it was when I was a player.
DL is good for maps at Night/Dungeons ETC Fog Of war for Fields ETC. Ever need help Let me know and i can Help you with them!
Definitely will. Thanks again
Ok, so I decided to get a Plus membership. Turned on DL. Switched to player, but everything was black including the token. So then I realized I had to turn on Has Sight. Went back to GM, did that, went back to player. Now the token is visible but everything is black still. I thought maybe since Fog of War was still on that might be causing a problem. So I turned that off and went back in as a player but same thing. What could I be missing?
Figured it out. Character didn't have darkvision and there was no light source. I turned on Emit Light and it works now
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Fog of War is great if you use submaps on your Roll20 maps so you never change the Player Ribbon during a session. I reveal each submap just before we roll for Initiative.
Hey, if anybody is still following, how do you move the tokens from one map to another? Do you have to remove them from the first map? Or just drag them again from the character sheet to the second? I know you can delete an object like a token, but then you have to redo the settings like has Sight, emits light, etc
Actually doing that also reset the token settings on the advanced tab. Anyway to make those permanent?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you set up the token completely then  link the token to it's journal , you can drag and drop without needing to setup everything again. You can copy and paste tokens from map to map (if you were a pro subscriber there is a couple scripts that would automate this) if you have not linked them to their journal to enable drop and dragging.
I think they are automatically linked because they're the default characters in a pre-made mod. But I'll look.

Edited 1496166312
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You can always relink them,just delete the current default, and then reassign it to the fully setup token
The copy and paste worked. I'll see if relinking does anything as far keeping the settings when I drag and drop
Relinking didn't work. Oh well. Just have to work around it