Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Update 1/28: New Forums!

Hello everyone, and welcome to the new Roll20 forums! We've completely re-written them from the ground up to provide a better, more integrated experience. If you've ever run into forum login issue, the inability to PM someone, or just been frustrated with the 2 or 3 second login time, all of those problems should be solved. Let me break down exactly what's changed: New Forums The new forums themselves are integrated directly into the core Roll20 application. They should seem very familiar; we haven't really changed the categories. We've simplified the layout and design to bring it more in-line with the rest of Roll20, and we've also switched to a WYSIWYG editor that should feel very familiar to you if you've been using the new Character features. We intend to start using this editor throughout Roll20 soon. There are undoubtedly going to be bugs, and there are still a few minor features missing (for example, we can't sticky posts yet...), but overall we're very excited at this major improvement! Campaign Forums In addition to the general public forums, this new update brings a much-needed feature to Roll20 in the form of Campaign Forums. Basically, every campaign that you create in Roll20 now has its own special mini-forum where you can post topics and communicate with your players outside of the game. This replaces the older campaign comments feature (any campaign comments have been imported into a thread on your new campaign forum called "Old Comments"). When you post on the campaign forum, all of your players are notified so they can read the post and keep up-to-date on the campaign. We think this is a great way to keep your players informed and engaged outside of your weekly session. You can use it to let them know about a time change, post recaps of previous sessions, and even do simple play-by-post style encounters in-between sessions.  Let us know if this feature is useful to you and what we can do to improve it going forward! Private Messaging The old forum software did feature a private messaging system, but it was really outside the scope of the main Roll20 app and had several issues. We've now introduced a new private messaging system directly into the core Roll20 app. You can view your private messages inbox by clicking on the account drop down in the top-right of your screen in the black bar. In addition, you'll now receive an email and an on-site notification whenever you receive a new PM. To send a PM, just go to the profile of anyone on Roll20 (for example, by clicking their name in a forum post), and then click the new "Send Private Message" link under their profile picture.  Other Miscellaneous Updates There is now a "Leave Campaign" button on the Campaign Details page, so players can choose to leave campaigns without requiring the GM to kick them.  We're excited about these new developments, and we can't wait to hear your feedback on how you're using them! Thanks!
FIRST! I am in love with the new forums as they are all tied into the same web gui.  before I would have to log into the forums to look for messages and such.  Now Roll20 is all integrated!  Thank you dev team. Nothing to see here. (now fix us a button that lets us remove ourselves from poor campaign choices) Nothing to see here.
Nothing to see here. (now fix us a button that lets us remove ourselves from poor campaign choices) Nothing to see here. We're working on that next :P
OMG I spoke too soon, i just noticed in each campaign that there is a Leave option below joining the VT portion of said campaing.  Still in development but THERE IS A LINK FOR IT! woot! Next thought would be to have a split view for the LFG tables and the LFG forum so you could compare whats going on.  Also a random thought would be to toss in a calendar view.  Just my .02
Oh, right, I forgot I already did that. I just turned it on. Surprise! You can now leave campaigns! :-D
So far I'm liking the new look and the idea for the campaign subforum is definitely a plus.  Keep up the good work :)
Is there any way to disable the email notifications from the Campaign forums? I am getting hit with a lot of small one line emails that don't necessarily have anything to do with campaigns I'm in, but just general forum-filler-discussion. I'd rather just be able to check my new activity notifier at the top of the page, than make new email filters :) Thanks!
@Shortland: You should only be getting emails for posts in campaign forums that you are actually in...you may want to go use the new "Leave Campaign" link on the campaign details page if you are still in a campaign you're no longer active in (the GM can always re-invite you later).  That being said, we're certainly planning to add some additional preferences regarding this as well.
Just a quick question ! I may just be blind, but there use to be a "discussion" button where we could see all the posts we did in the different forum sections (quite useful if you weren't the OP but still did want to be kept informed about new posts). Is it gone forever, or did it just switch places ? Thanks !
Nothing at this point is gone forever. We started small and lightweight, but as people request more features for the forums we will add them if we can. So I will add that one to our list to be considered :-)
Thank you :) I had to keep watch of this thread directly in the "home" section and it wouldn't work with an "older" thread. Nothing major but still I thought I'd ask !
Well, if what I think you're asking I'm understanding correctly, there is a new feature at the top-right of every forum thread where you can hit "Follow This Topic." If you do that you'll receive a notification and email every time someone posts a new reply. You can also un-follow as well. You automatically follow all new topics that you create, but you can choose to follow any topic as well. Hope that helps!
Well that's a good thing ^^ Not quite what I asked, but that'll make up for it :) Still that "discussion" button was quite useful, sometimes you post something, not thinking you'll really follow through, and the answer is actually something you'd like to know about ^^
Camille I'm bugging him for the same feature so hopefully we can steal some of super-Riley's time :)
Let's do it ! I just need a pin and I'll bring forth the super puppy watery eyes ! No one can resist those !
I second what Camille is saying, if I understand it right. I found that feature very useful before, maybe it's because I haven't explored enough yet the new forums but it feels like there's something missing.
I also just read there was a Leave Campaign button now? I have to say it. Riley, I love you man.
@Riley - that's not exactly my issue. I'm in a lot of campaigns (because I play a lot during the run of a week), but I don't necessarily need (and this would probably apply to more people than just myself) an email every time someone posts a 3 word response to something in one of those groups. I would think leaving the campaign would not be the way to circumvent that issue, lol.. That being said, the forum organization for campaign page content is really helpful. It would be nice though, just to have a checkbox or button to indicate which content you want sent to your email, and which you could do without.
@Shortland I mean, would you want to turn off notification emails entirely? Or would you like the ability to follow/unfollow posts on the campaign forum individually like you can on these forums? Or maybe you only receive an email if the GM of the campaign posts a message...?
I plan to use the new forums within my private campaigns to dedicate a thread to my character.  I can also predict a "captain's log" detailing each event after it had been completed. P.S. can I quote you [riley] with "Surprise! You can now leave campaigns! :-D" <3, -CNG   
On the topic of notifications, I personally would like to see the option to turn on/off individual notifications.  Maybe have options to receive a daily  email with the day's activities in the notifications we choose with a chosen time when we expect the email to be sent.  I am envisioning that i turn on notifications for the LFG forum and my private campaigns, then receiving my email just before I get home like around 4pm EST from any  notifications within the past 24hrs from 4pm EST yesterday. Respectfully, -CNG
A daily email's not a bad idea. Maybe we'll go that route. Or give people the option to receive notifications as either an email right away, a daily email, or no email at all (because basically when you get an email it's because you got a notification, they're linked)
if the time aspect (by the hours) is feasible it would be great to get the daily feed right when you want it the most
I'm loving the new features. These will make things so much better, for sure.
I could deal with a daily email, just highlighting some of the traffic - I mean, you're going to see it all in notifications when you get in regardless, it would just mean less inbox traffic. I could also go for a "disable email notifications" feature. I'm on here 15 times a day regardless if an email tells me I should be :)
Okay, I've switched to a daily summary email by default. You can view your account settings where there is a new Preference to change it to either immediate email, summary email, or no email. Let's see how this goes :-)
Awesome! Thanks :)
Forums look splendid, but I do miss the voting option. :( Also, why is it that it takes to "back" clicks to exit a thread now? First click seems to take me to the oldest/first post in the thread, second returns me to the list of topics. I've not seen any other forums that work this way, so I'm guessing (hoping) it's not intended...
Also, why is it that it takes to "back" clicks to exit a thread now? First click seems to take me to the oldest/first post in the thread, second returns me to the list of topics. I've not seen any other forums that work this way, so I'm guessing (hoping) it's not intended... Yeah, that wasn't intended, it should be fixed now, sorry about that.
The new forums and the PM system are both looking great!  I only think that the onpage-notifications (top right corner thingy, to be clear) should be threaded.  For instance, if there are 3 people in a private message, I receive a notification for every single reply. Instead, similarly to f,i, Facebook, I should receive one notification per "item" or "entity". So even if the other 2 people in my private conversation exchange multiple mails, I should get something like "Martin and Max replied to Conversation X". The same principle should obv apply to forum threads. I hope you get my point :) -Cheers
Unless I'm missing something, would be nice to have  subscribed topics and ability to view all forums that we had down the side previously. Otherwise all good! :)
The new campaign forums are wonderful! I must be missing something though because I don't see how to turn on notifications so I get an email when someone posts to the campaign forum. Help?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hero, currently the email notifications can be found on your account page. Go to the top right corner of the website, click on Welcome and then click on My Account. In preferences you will find an option for email delivery of notifications. - Gauss
There's just been a new update pushed out which adds several additional forum features: There's now a Quote button fr each post, allowing you to quickly include the comments in your new post. There's two new links on the forum home page, All Discussions and Followed. All Discussions will show you all the discussions, regardless of category, and Followed will show you all the topics that you currently follow. If you go to the profile page of a user, you can now view both all Topics (parent discussions) created by that user, as well as all Replies created by that user. There's now a direct link to your Public Profile in the account drop-down in the top-right corner of the screen (under "My Account"). Thanks!
Riley D. said: There's two new links on the forum home page, All Discussions and Followed. All Discussions will show you all the discussions,  Thanks! ALL DISCUSSIONS
Riley D. said: There's just been a new update pushed out which adds several additional forum features: It's nice to see this.
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
Richard Z. said: Riley D. said: There's two new links on the forum home page, All Discussions and Followed. All Discussions will show you all the discussions,  Thanks! ALL DISCUSSIONS YES!!!!!! Thanks Riley.
Woot! I so missed the 'All Topics' link.  Would it be possible to get the All Topics, Followed, and Mark All Viewed links at the top of each of the pages too?