Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Multi-target Whispers not being saved to chat log

Hi everyone! In my campaign I've created a generic character sheet and called it "Allchat" so the players can Whisper to it and all of them can see what is Whispered, except me as DM. It allows them to discuss tactics etc without me knowing what they're up to; effectively, a players-only Cone of Silence. However, the resulting Whispers only show in the active chat, and do not get logged to the chat log for any of the players. Once it scrolls off the screen, it's gone. This doesn't happen for Whispers sent to characters with individual controllers, only to this Allchat one with multiple controllers. Is this normal and the system just isn't designed to have a chracters controllable and Whisperable by several people, or is this a possible bug?
Hi, Brad K. for clarification, do your players have a chat log of the whispers, or does it not show up for them either?
That's the issue :) It does not show in their chat logs, only the active chat screen (not that I can see it; I'm not one of the referenced players). Once it scrolls off the top, it's gone forever. It does not show up in their individual copies of the chat log that contain their other sent and received whispers for individually-controlled characters.
This is still an issue. Tagged players can receive whispers sent to the Allchat name, but those whispers do not get recorded in the ongoing log. They only appear in the active chat window. Hitting the "View all chat entries for this game" does not show them in the log archive for any of the players. Since there is a lot of strategy being discussed in this way, anyone not present and reading the active window is missing out on the discussions (the players are spread across a lot of time zones). Is there an update on this problem?
Any character with the "All Players" tag for the journal also loses whispers in the long-term log whilever the tag is there.
I appreciate all of the updates on this Brad! I will be creating a bug ticket for the devs on this topic.