Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

How to make a Pokemon/5e crossover?

I've been brainstorming on how to make a campaign that takes place in a universe that fuses Pokemon with Humans, creating a universe of hybrid adventurers. I would run a campaign that has D&D style adventuring, roleplay and combat, but with Pokemon Aesthetics. I've got a few basic ideas such as: - Since a D&D level caps at 20, and Pokemon caps at 100, every 1 D&D level would equate to 5 Pokemon Levels, so levelling up woul equate to those, along with the getting new moves and evolution. - Pokemon stats will translate to D&D Stats. (Attack=STR, Def=AC, Special Atk=INT, Special Def=WIS, Speed=DEX, HP=CON) Na Charisma can remain separate. - Instead of races, since they would all be Human/Pokemon hybrids, types would inform what natural boosts they get in one category (Eg. Fighting types would get boosts to STR,, Psychic types get boosts to INT, etc.) - The player will be able to give a secondary boost by deciding on thir character's Nature, (Eg I would choose a Jolly nature to get a boost to STR) - Moves can be STR/DEX based attacks or magic attack based on their nature (Eg. Tackle would be a STR based attack, Fury Swipes would be DEX based moves like, but Ember/Bubble would be a Level 1 magic attack). Moves taht are known in the first 5 levels (ie lvl1) and are magic based are counted as Cantrips - Equipment would probably be held items, Berries, TM and HMs, etc. Certain Types would get certain bonus feats and traits (eg, Water types will be able to breathe underwater and have faster swimming speed) -Abilities will also be feats As an Example let's look at the most famous Pokemon: Pikachu!, Here is a female Level 5 Pikachu Hybrid: This Hybrid is Level 5, and such has all the moves of a level 25 Pikachu. It is an Electric Type with a Careful Nature giving it a Speed(DEX) boost of 2 and a Special Defense(WIS) boost of 1. It's moves include: Tail Whip - Cantrip, drops chosen enemy AC by 1 for 2 turns Growl - Cantrip, drops chosen enemy STR by 1 for 2 turns Thundershock - Cantrip, does 1d8 of Electric damage Play Nice - Spell (Level 1), gives user advantage against STR-based attacks Quick Attack - DEX based attack with 1d4 bludgeoning damage Electro Ball - Magic Attack (Level 2), does 1d8 of Electric damage, is user passes DEX saving throw gives boosts DEX by 1 for the rest of the battle Thunder Wave - Spell (Level 2) Does 1d4 of Electric damage, is enemy fails DEX saving throw becomes paralyzed Feint - Spell (Level 3) Cancels out the effects of opponents Protect or Detect Spells Double Team - Spell (Level 3) Gives advantage against DEX-based attacks) Charge Beam (TM) - Spell (Level 4) does 1d10 Electric damage, if users passes WIS saving throw, boosts WIS by 1 for rest of battle Feats: Static: If hit by physical attack, enemy must make DEX Saving throw or be paralysed Lightningrod: Has ability to roll DEX Saving throw against electric attacks. If successful, intercepts and takes no damage from the attack, if failed, takes half damage. Nimble Feet : Due to the small size of Pikachu, it has advantage against DEX (Acrobatics) checks and Dex saving throws. Electric Type: Has advantage against Electric attacks, disadvantage against Ground Attacks. These are just some basic ideas, I would appreciate all suggestions and constructive criticism.
Damn wait what are you asking then? Everything you asked you seem to have answered yourself lol. Guess I could not be completely useless though and drop some aesthetic ideas since I don't really know much about D&D 5e mechanics. It'd be pretty sick to use, at least in overworld-esque situations, pokemon sprites, which you can get by just looking them up or using databases like  Spriter's Resource . Also, making the maps with pokemon tilesets with tools like  Tiled or just good ol' gimp, paint.net or pirated photoshop would also be pretty neat, although I'm not sure if that's what you're aiming for. There's my random 2 cents.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some good places to discuss this topic: /r/rpg /r/dnd /r/dndnext /r/gamemasters