Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

White Plume Mountain or Dead in Thay? DM discussion

Edited 1498474346
So my campaign has just had a 'world will soon rip itself apart' event and i wanted to use either of these dungeons as a bridging quest to some elemental planes adventuring. Basically clear dungeon to get item to open portal to the elemental planes is the idea. I am looking to purchase one of these dungeons separately to use. The party is 4 - 5 players, levels 8 - 10, i would say they are quite powerful for their level. I have watched a fair bit of the roll20 play through of White Plume Mountain and it looks fantastic. I have read that the doom vault is quick large and punishing, the polygon article i read refers to it as being for sadists. Doomvault seems to fit the parties level better, though i would probably just add a few HP / another monster if the party was steamrolling WPM. Story wise white plume mountain seems like it would fit nicely without too much tweaking; the 3 sentient weapons were needed to open the portal basically. Due to roll20 play through i am much more familiar with WPM than DiT. I wonder how flexible the story for Dead in Thay is for integration into my campaign. Has anyone run both or either of these and what is your opinion of them? As an aside note we play every F/N so i prefer less to more. I have some great ideas for the elemental planes but am also really excited to play through a classic dungeon (with all the leg work of setting up in roll20 taken care of) and would prefer the dungeon didn't last us months and months before completion. Thanks for any help.
I would pick WPM, it's easily adaptable for any power level. Upgrade the three boss monsters a bit and you are good to go.