Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro with choices

Hey everyone, i am fairly new at making macros, but i find them very interesting and neat. In the game i am currently playing, we use a lot of gif's for our abilities and i would be glad for some help. I play an Archfey Warlock and i would like to make a macro that asks me to either go for Fright or Charm when i press and use my Fey Presence and the choice would make the display give the condition, DC, and the gif that i want.  Hope to hear from ya, and have a good day :)

Edited 1498557675
So far, doing my resource, i have found out that i can make a choice macro doing this: ?{Which Effect? |Charm, #Charm |Fear, #Fear|} Whereas the macros #Charm and #Fear looks like this &{template:default} {{name=Fey Presence}} {{Charm = [Roll20 Logo](gif)}} {{Effect= A charmed creature can’t Attack the charmer or target the charmer with harmful Abilities or magical effects. The charmer has advantage on any ability check to interact socially with the creature.}} but when i press the roll button it comes out as #Charm only? i thought "#" would use the macro? can anyone see what i do wrong? :P
Hi Mimersbrønd, I am also a newbie to macros, but I think I found out what was happening. According to the Wiki, there must be a space after the macro name so that it can be recognized. I tried to change the #Fear with one of my macros (one with many options) and the options appeared where they shouldn't appear. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it works. (even though it may bring more trouble) Tell me what happened and have a nice day! :) Riccardo
If you are using a pull down to call a macro like you are doing, then the macros you are calling cannot have any } or , or | in them. The pull down will break if the macros do. The way around this is to use HTML entities to replace the troublesome characters. See the wiki entry for advance roll query usage here . It can get complicated but it is very doable. Also keep in mind that macros stored in the side bar will revert the HTML entities if they are re-opened, so do it and save it and never open it again.
So i tried what you said Riccardo S. and i guess i didnt quite understand with where you want me to put the space specifically.  And Ed S. that stuff seems complicated :P Where exactly do you mean i should use the HTML?  In the Fey Presence macro (the 1st code i send) or the Fear macro (the second one)?
Mimersbrønd said: So i tried what you said Riccardo S. and i guess i didnt quite understand with where you want me to put the space specifically.  And Ed S. that stuff seems complicated :P Where exactly do you mean i should use the HTML?  In the Fey Presence macro (the 1st code i send) or the Fear macro (the second one)? In both. The query ends when it sees a }. And yes it does get complicated. It would be best if you can figure a way to put the query inside of your roll template so you don't have to do replacements.
Or use  API command buttons if you still want to be able to use #Charm and #Fear individually outside of this query.
alright Ed S. I have tried your thingy, basically changed all of them into the HTML.  Here is the Fey Presence, the one that should give me a choice, which doesnt anymore :P ?{Which Effect? |Charm, #Charm Charm |Fear, #Fear } and, for example, the fear looks like this: &{template:default} {{name=Fey Presence}} {{Fear = [Roll20 Logo](gif)}} {{Effect= Condition.}} which doenst make a template anymore :P this is much harder and complicated than i thought
This is what you should have in the Charm/Fear macro (I changed each & to & in order to keep the HTML equivalents in the reply). &{template:default} {{name=Fey Presence}} {{Charm = [Roll20 Logo](gif)}} {{Effect=Condition.}} 
Alright, Thx for the code Kyle :) its much easier to get a code that i can copy/paste. it fixed the template in charm/fear i think... cause now i just get a single purple border :P
You could put it all into one macro and save it as an ability on the character, this might be simpler. I have the query embedded inside the roll template. That required me to replace the }} for each segment, but we only have to do it once. Saving the macro in the Ability tab on the character journal allows the html entities to stay put and not revert. &{template:default} {{name=Fey Presence}} {{?{Which Effect? |Charm, = [Roll20 Logo](gif) }} {{Effect= A charmed creature can’t Attack the charmer or target the charmer with harmful Abilities or magical effects. The charmer has advantage on any ability check to interact socially with the creature. }} | Fear, = [Roll20 Logo](gif) }} {{Effect= fear effect description. }} } Try that
HOLY SHIT! THAT WORKED! THX SO MUCH ED :D !!!!