Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Kick player from sessions (but not from campaign)

Zym
Sheet Author
Is there a way to boot/disconnect a player from a game without kicking them from the campaign. I have a few players that just sit idle after games or sit idle.  Is there way to disconnect them from the session? I am not too worried about why or why not just how.
Nope.
Zym
Sheet Author
Okay, thanks. I didn't think so... we can only live in hope that one day we can just boot that player sitting idle. 

Edited 1498677649
Gid
Roll20 Team
Sometimes a user's online status can get stuck in perpetual "online mode" if they don't exit the game and close down the browser/browser tab instead. If you ask the users to log back into the game and then log back out, that should resolve that if that's the issue you're dealing with and not players who are just sitting in the game with a browser tab open all the time.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If in doubt I always check the game overview page (the one with the player icons on which shows who is in the game and who isn't). As long as they are showing as not active there I can confidently do any prep etc I want to do without risking spoilers :)
Zym
Sheet Author
Thanks for the extra hints and tips :-)
You can also create a page/map that you put player ribbon on between games.  Then if they log in, they don't see you doing anything you don't want them to, and they can't cruise around the map when you're not looking.  You can be editing your campaign page while they're online, and they won't see a thing.

Edited 1498725111
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Valerie M. said: and they won't see a thing. Apart from anything you throw to chat while testing macros etc ;) For this you can use /talktomyself for basic chat stuff but for anything API based you'll need either a test game, where you are free to explore to your hearts content without ruining the upcoming fun, or players who follow orders and will stay out of the game when you tell them to lol. If you test in the live game remember to also clear the chat archive too, backing it up to a text doc etc first of course!
Zym
Sheet Author
To be fair it's not the content I am worried about, I clear chat regularly. I just like to know that if a player is there they are actually available. If not I'd like to be able to disconnect them. Its relatively minor, but thought I would ask. 
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Always worth asking, I currently have 2 games with players 'ghosting' in them lol... it can be a bit frustrating so I feel your pain. My original advice regarding the game overview page will certainly tell you if they are really 'there' or not :) Happy rolling!
People have been asking about this for 4 years now. I'm genuinely surprised it is not at least a pro option.