Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script] Welcome Package -- Create Characters When Players Join

Edited 1500777486
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
One of my pet peeves about making a new campaign has always been that my players can't make their characters right away when they join. Instead, there is the following chain of events that have to take place: Player joins campaign, can't do anything, and logs out. I log into campaign. I create a blank character for the player that joined earlier and then log out. Player logs in sometime later and is finally able to build their character. Presented here is a quick and simple script that will immediately create a character for a player when they login, if they don't already have one, which they can then start editing right away. So the chain of events is reduced to: Player joins campaign and can immediately start building their character. This script is available from the One-Click API script installer. Search for "Welcome Package".
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Might add a !playerIsGM() in there to prevent you from having a character.  I might also suggest a sendChat() with a link to the Character whispered to that player (probably after a short timeout so it doesn't end up above the GiantGreenWelcomeBoxOfDoom.
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: Might add a !playerIsGM() in there to prevent you from having a character.  I might also suggest a sendChat() with a link to the Character whispered to that player (probably after a short timeout so it doesn't end up above the GiantGreenWelcomeBoxOfDoom. Great ideas!
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
How do you get a URL for a character? I didn't know they were accessible outside of the VTT.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You can get a link players can click in the VTT that will pop it up as if you had shown it to them: <a href="http://journal.roll20.net/character/CHARACTERID" rel="nofollow">http://journal.roll20.net/character/CHARACTERID</a>
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That's a nice trick. Thanks!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Works for handouts the same way you might imagine. =D &nbsp;You can see it put to good use in my Search script.
To the OP: that script works damn good. I'll be using it! &nbsp;Thanks!
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Stephen, this is genius. Thank you! I can't wait to add this to my games.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Another cool feature that should make it's way into roll20's game settings IMO. &nbsp;Very nice.

Edited 1499953904
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Vince said: Another cool feature that should make it's way into roll20's game settings IMO. &nbsp;Very nice. I mentioned this (among some other ideas for VTT improvements) to the devs a few months ago when I interviewed with them for the UI/UX developer job. I guess nothing really came of that though. Since this script seems pretty useful to a lot of folks, I've made it into a full-fledged script including the enhancements that Aaron suggested. I've decided to call it the Welcome Package script. For now it is available here:&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/Cazra/roll20-api-scripts/tree/3" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Cazra/roll20-api-scripts/tree/3</a>... It requires the&nbsp; HtmlBuilder script. Hopefully soon it will also be available from the One-Click installer.
Awesome!!!! Will be using this with the next one-shot I do!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Want me to rename this thread:&nbsp; [Script] Welcome Package --&nbsp;Create Characters When Players Join
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: Want me to rename this thread:&nbsp; [Script] Welcome Package --&nbsp;Create Characters When Players Join Yes, please!
Zym
Sheet Author
Hi, nice script. I was using a different API for creating character sheets but it conflicted with Shaped Sheets . This one seems to work with Shaped Sheet. However, is it possible to add an macro command so that a player with a pre-exsisting character sheet can type the command and be issued with a second character sheet. This happens quite often in my games, I run Adventurers League and people often have more than 1 character to use. Kudos +1
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Adding commands to allow players to add a new character and new handouts would be great! (Though this should be a setting in roll20)
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Alexander said: Hi, nice script. I was using a different API for creating character sheets but it conflicted with Shaped Sheets . This one seems to work with Shaped Sheet. However, is it possible to add an macro command so that a player with a pre-exsisting character sheet can type the command and be issued with a second character sheet. This happens quite often in my games, I run Adventurers League and people often have more than 1 character to use. Kudos +1 Sure. I'll add that in once I get the chance.
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The CreateACharacter macro is now implemented on the script up in Github.

Edited 1500706407
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
I assume this isn't yet in the "auto-install API" dropdown? Edit: Can it also auto-tag a sheet? Such as use the playername as a tag on the new sheet so it can be searched?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The API doesn't have access to tags.&nbsp;
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
The Aaron said: The API doesn't have access to tags.&nbsp; Booo. That makes it slightly less useful for my 'mass player game'
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Actually, it is available now from the One-Click installer. Search for "Welcome Package".
Where is the code so I can copy and paste this?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I believe this is a One-click option now, but you can also find the code in the quote below Stephen L. said: I mentioned this (among some other ideas for VTT improvements) to the devs a few months ago when I interviewed with them for the UI/UX developer job. I guess nothing really came of that though. Since this script seems pretty useful to a lot of folks, I've made it into a full-fledged script including the enhancements that Aaron suggested. I've decided to call it the Welcome Package script. For now it is available here:&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/Cazra/roll20-api-scripts/tree/3" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Cazra/roll20-api-scripts/tree/3</a>... It requires the&nbsp; HtmlBuilder script. Hopefully soon it will also be available from the One-Click installer.