Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Ruler Tool Pings just like Select Tool

I have hesitated suggesting this, because its technically user error. Its happened a million times now - i select the Ruler too to measure something, and forget to change it back to select tool before holding down left mouse to ping.  Frankly the two events go hand in hand very often - needing to measure a distance then pinging a location.  Like, Your spell has a 45 foot range, (measures 45 feet), it could reach *here* - oh gosh darnit, let me go back to select tool.  and now ive forgotten what square was 45 feet away.  The final straw that is causing me to ask for this is the fact that left clicking, or shift-LMB, while using the Ruler tool, *does nothing currently*.  There is room for this functionality, nothing would be replaced.  I would really like to see this.  Its more than just me forgetting to go back to the Select tool to ping on the map - its the fact that Measuring very frequently results in an immediate need to ping the location you just Measured to get to.  Thank you for considering this functionality implementation. matt
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
+1 (but no free votes at present sorry...) I do this so darn often! A workaround is to use the  keyboard shortcut ctrl/cmd+s to get to the select tool without having to move your cursor but who can ever remember all those things!
I find it easier to use arrows and target symbols for measuring and pointing out positions on the map. They don't go away like the ping does, you don't need to switch tools, and you can measure waypoints using them by hitting the spacebar multiple times while holding the arrow token. <a href="http://imgur.com/a/Mkc2k" rel="nofollow">http://imgur.com/a/Mkc2k</a>
Ziechael said: +1 (but no free votes at present sorry...) I do this so darn often! A workaround is to use the&nbsp; keyboard shortcut ctrl/cmd+s to get to the select tool without having to move your cursor but who can ever remember all those things! hey ill remember that thanks! I was just hoping since a) the code is already written for the mouse events and b) left mouse on ruler tool does nothing, it could be like a 30 min job for the coders.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
100% agree, heres hoping :)
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .