Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Paste from Library?

I have read its possible to "copy" an image from your library and paste it into a handout/char sheet (in a description field for instance). I cannot figure out how to do this.
There are several ways to get a particular image into a character or handout, but copy and paste is not one of them.  In all cases the file must be jpg (not jpeg), png, or gif.  It's possible to use a pdf on a handout, but I don't recommend it, and the pdf needs to be small if it's going to work. For characters, the portrait or avatar is the easiest.  If you know the location of the image file, click on "Choose a file..." and find the filename.  The image will load.  You can also drag the filename (not the graphic) over the box to drop it in. For a character icon, the only way I know to do it is to drag the image you want onto the map/play area, fix it the way you want it, select it, and then go to the edit tab on the character sheet and choose the selected token as default. For a handout, use one of those same two methods: click the button to choose the filename through the file system, or drag the filename over the box. You can also put links to other handouts or characters into a character or a handout, which is a great way to have many images available under one title.  First you have to make a separate handout for each image, with a descriptive title, like "temple plan" and "holy symbol".  Then go to your master handout and type "[temple plan]" and "[holy symbol]".  If you have a character named "High Priest" you can add that by typing "[High Priest]".  (All of these are to be typed without the quotation marks.)  When you save changes, you will see a hyperlink names temple plan , holy symbol , and High Priest and when you click on each you will open the linked handouts and character sheets, displaying the images.
Sorry, thats not what I was meaning. I have seen people take their images from their library and put them into their Handout, in the description field for instance. I have actually seen this done.  I thought it was copy and paste, but I guess not. In any case, I am trying to figure out how to do it.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Search for an image in the sidebar, drag and drop image to to the handout's image box, right-click copy the handout image, right-click paste into description and/or gm notes boxes.  ;-)
Thank you so much!
Vince, now I'm confused.  When you say, "right-click paste into description and/or gm notes boxes," I don't see those options.  How do I get that menu to appear?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
He means right click in the text area for those, right where you'd otherwise be typing in the text.  The Browser's native right-click menu should come up and you can select the paste option from it.
I can't get the native paste to work.  I can copy from there, and paste into another program, but not into the handout text areas.
What browser are you using? It works for me in both Chrome and Firefox. Be sure when you copy the image, you choose Copy Image from the right-click menu.
Using Chrome, "copy image" copies to clip board, will paste to powerpoint, but will not paste into the handout.  I'm in edit mode on the handout, the graphic is a png file from my computer.  Does it matter that I'm using a Mac?

Edited 1501030239
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Not sure how this needs to be done on a Mac...  ;-(  From my tests, you have to use "copy image" from within the browser. This is the reason to first get the image into the handout's normal image placeholder and "copy image" from that.  Again, since Mac's only use a single button, I'm not sure how to get a similar right-click context menu that win users get on an image within a browser's window.

Edited 1501032732
You're not copying the image from your PC at this point, so that should not matter. Once you dragged it to the main part of the handout window, it has been uploaded to your library. The image already in the handout is what you want to right-click and "Copy Image" from. What do you see when you right-click in the Description or GM Notes fields? Is the Paste option grayed out on the menu? Have you tried Cmd-V (or whatever the standard keyboard command for Paste is on a Mac) when the cursor is in one of those fields?
Using a mouse I can get the same left- and right-click options as on a PC.  (There are trackpad ways too, but I switched to the mouse for this to be sure.)  What I see on right click in the GM Notes field is shown here.  Paste command is not grayed out, same as the Undo command, but when I click on it, nothing happens.  In this case I was trying to copy the graphic in the top portion of this same handout, nothing ambitious.  
Cmd-V behaves the same way.